Question about Carb intake before exercise w/trainer

Loser2014
on 7/3/14 12:09 am

Hello all.  Last couple of times I have felt extremely dizzy while working out with my trainer.  My trainer who is also a certified nutritionist, does not know about my VSG.  All he knows is that I am following a strict diet regimen for weight loss.  When I got dizzy during my last session, he suggested that I take some form of complex carb an hour prior to the workout.  I burn around 500-600 calories(per my polar monitor) in the half hour I work with him.  He is suggesting a shake with fruit in it or some vegetables/whole grains.  Anyone else ever have this issue?  Suggestions?  Thanks in advance!

Gwen M.
on 7/3/14 3:06 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I would tell your trainer about your surgery so that he can give you appropriate medical advice.  It's hard for people to give us good advice if they don't know all of the cir****tances.  

That said, my NUT did say that I could have a small carb (preferably a small piece of fruit) before a workout if I felt it was necessary.  So far I haven't, but I realize that this might change over time!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Loser2014
on 7/3/14 3:23 am

As I mentioned in another reply below, no one knows except my hubby and kids. 

I am meeting with my nut next week.  I will see what she says.  Thank you!

Gwen M.
on 7/3/14 3:29 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Not even your other medical providers?  Seems unsafe.  I would want someone that was advising me about my body and my health to have all the facts.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

VSG on 06/12/13

^^ what she said. 

I get not telling acquaintances about this, but anybody who was part of my "team" - therapist, trainer, docs, etc. knew what was going on. 

Ultimately it's your personal decision, but what if you pass out during a session and need to receive urgent medical care? What then? Would you want a paramedic to know? How would you trainer feel, knowing that you were not straight with him/her?

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

mickeymantle
on 7/3/14 3:06 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I don't know when you had your surgery or what your food plan is , but if the idea of the exercise is to lose weight why would you want to add calories

500-600 cal in a half hour seems like a lot are you shore thats right

have you had your labs checked lately maybe something is off

why do you not tell your train about your surgery he needs to have all the facts to care for you

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Loser2014
on 7/3/14 3:21 am

I am sure of the calories.  If not completely accurate, they are pretty close.  The workout is quite intense and my heart works a lot!  I also eat less than 800 calories on most days.  Had surgery almost 2 months ago.  Lost a total of 45 pounds so far including pre-surgery weight loss.  I am not dizzy at any other times, only when my heart is working really hard.  I won't get the labs done until August at 3 months but I feel fine at all times except when I am doing intense workout.  Other aerobic exercises don't make me feel dizzy because my calorie loss count in those stays between 200-250 and my heart doesn't race as fast. 

I chose not to tell anyone except my hubby and kids.  This is a local area gym where a lot of people I know, go.  But this trainer is highly recommended by several friends.  Also, I made a decision that I have had many people judge me for being overweight all my life.  I am not about to let them judge me on my choice to have a surgery now.  I hate being under a radar and I will be for sure if more people know. 

Tracy D.
on 7/3/14 3:49 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

If you are working out that intensely you might need a little bit of complex carb and protein ahead of your workout.   A wasa cracker with some all-natural peanut butter, or a quarter or half an apple with some almond butter or all-natural peanut butter are good options.  You could also do half a protein shake before you go or even do half a protein bar (if you are up to eating those yet).  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Calaska
on 7/3/14 3:51 am - AK
VSG on 08/18/14

I'm still pre-op, but I do work out. I feel dizzy at times when the workout is intense, and my trainer says I should have had more water before the workout. 

I respect your feelings about not telling people about your surgery. I feel that my trainer is a professional, and would keep that info confidential if you did tell him. I told mine, and feel that she is training my body, so she should have all the info.  Your trainer, also being a nutritionist, might already know of the nutritional needs of bariatric patients. If not, maybe it would encourage him to further his education. Bariatric surgery is coming out of the closet!

58 yo female, 5'9" HW: 297 SW: 285  Surgery W: 252. CW: 224.8 GW: 160        

If there is no struggle, there is no progress. ~ Frederick Douglass

Loser2014
on 7/3/14 3:58 am

I know what you are saying!  I just have been put donw so many times!  Once bitten, twice shy.  Hopefully, I will get over it and be able to trust him enough to tell him soon.  Thanks for the advice. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 89 views