Pre-op diet...what the hell is wrong with me?

tabby_87
on 7/6/14 3:04 am

HELP!! My preop diet started Friday..and although I have gotten in my protein and fluids I have ended up eating something everyday! I have a job that makes it difficult to prepare my shakes, so when I am finally able to drink them I feel like a ravenous animal! If I cant control myself now how will I have self control after surgery. Any words of wisdom or advice? Like I said ive only ate 1 meal a day which is great compared to my old ways, but its not a liquid diet either..feelin like a looser!!

Gwen M.
on 7/6/14 4:01 am, edited 7/6/14 4:10 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It will be easier after surgery, that's sort of what the surgery does.  So don't beat yourself up too much.  

You should, however, work to stay on track from here on out.  You should consider telling your surgeon about your non-compliance.  And, if you haven't already, you should work to find a good therapist to help you out with your post-op life.  This whole process can really do a number on our brains, and having a therapist can be invaluable to help conquer the hurdles we face. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Stacy_WLS
on 7/6/14 4:05 am

It is SO much easier post surgery. Keep sticking to it - you can do it.  I stumbled a lot on my pre op diet - just keep getting back to it.

Gwen is right, a therapist is crucial to this process at least in my opinion.  

Good luck!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

tabby_87
on 7/6/14 4:16 am

Thanks for the reply ladies! I just hate it. Ive wanted this for so long,i am more hard on myself than anyone else could be.its hard to stop habbits of 26 yrs cold turkey! its buckle down time from now on!!

(deactivated member)
on 7/6/14 4:31 am - princessanne, MD

Hi im sorta new on here ive been looking at this sight every since i started my journey in october.Im now on the liqid diet myself and i must say it is hard especially when your use to eating what u want this is what helped me i fix my own protein shakes vanilla whey the big jar from walmart and skim milk..it was ok at first but i was bored with the favor so i went to Wal-Mart last night and got the low carb zero sugar adkins day break shake and it curbed my appetite alot ..just keep this in mind the whole purpose of this diet is to shrink your Liver which lies right beside your stomach if you dnt want any complications in the or..

greensleeved
on 7/6/14 4:16 am
VSG on 07/10/14 with

This may sound a bit harsh, but your job sounds like an excuse for you not doing what you need to do. Are you now allowed to eat at specific times? Is it the preparation that's hard? If so you can use the ready made shakes. I am on day 10 of my pre-op diet and have only cheated twice with a few tablespoons of fat free sugar free pudding (and that was day 1 and 2). 

Here are some of the things that have helped me:

1. Keep busy. If I am home on the couch I will have worse cravings. Hanging out with people and going places makes the day go faster.

2. Watch a video of the actual VSG procedure. It's pretty scary to be cut open and have parts of your organs removed! The pre-op diet is to shrink your liver to reduce the chance of complications. If you don't comply you run the risk of the surgeon getting in there and not being able to do the surgery, or of there not being enough room and something getting nicked and bleeding. It's rare, but people can die from this procedure. Don't be a statistic.

3. VARIETY - I have about 8,000 different flavored liquids in my house. Flavored water, different protein shake to which I add other flavors like Torani syrup or PB2. I've had about 5 types of fat free soup, and last night I discovered that adding pickle juice to cheddar cheese soup makes it taste like a cheeseburger.

4. Motivation - I keep thinking about all the awful things that have led me to this decision (not fitting in seats, being winded just walking up a short hill, loss of self esteem, having a shortened life expectancy, how awful I look with 3 chins, etc.)  What are the worst things about being heavy for you? Remember why you are doing this. Looking at the before and after pictures on OH are helpful to me. Set yourself up for success like those folks. Imagine yourself doing all the things you can't do now (mine is snorkeling and scuba diving).

5. WAIT - the first three days it killed me not to cheat. Then it got easier. Remember that the liquid phase is temporary. I keep imagining all the great ways to prepare protein once you can have it.

6. SUPPORT - Does your area have a WLS support group? Have a best friend who will listen? Hell, PM me and I'll listen!  Just being on OH is great and I hope you get lots of helpful responses here.

I probably sound like a know it all and obviously am not since I don't have surgery until Thursday (yikes, Thursday), but I know how hard it is to be obese and how difficult it is to stick to the pre-op diet. But it is possible. AND YOU CAN DO IT!!! Stop beating yourself up over your past mistakes and get with the program NOW! Good luck.

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

tabby_87
on 7/6/14 4:48 am

I wished my job could be an excuse..unfortunately its reality! I was cooped up in a ICU room with a patient for a double shift. I was prepared in the fact that I brought my protein drinks and fluids for a 8 hr shift. Like I said in my post I start out great and get in my requirements, but by the end of my day I felt like a ravenous animal! I can take har**** kicks me in theButt sometimes. WHAT? you get soup?? Strickly protein shakes, water, SF jello and SF popsicles for me!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/6/14 7:24 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I also sometimes found myself stuck at work longer than I originally intended. I'd suggest keeping some protein powder and a bottle in your locker at work so you can fix a protein drink there, ditto soup. I keep some powdered protein soup and a bowl at work. We have those water bottles that can dispense hot or cold water, that way I can fix something in case I get stuck. Yes to soup!, it is liquid & you should be able to have it unless your dr said no. I would ask why though. The liquid diet is tough. I had to do it for 20 days! You can do it! Good luck!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

greensleeved
on 7/6/14 8:00 am
VSG on 07/10/14 with

Yeah, I get soup. One can of fat free (no chunks) per day. I guess I should count myself lucky! I've been drooling over people who get to eat lean protein, lol! Do you have a locker or a big bag you can put extra shakes in? I've loaded up my purse and desk in case I get stuck. I am hungry more in the evening so I usually "save" more of my calories for late in the day and I've been going to bed early to avoid cravings! How long do you have to be on your liquids? I'm 14 days. I love hearing that everyone says it is "easier" after surgery. Let's hope so!

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

Mona Mee
on 7/6/14 8:20 am - Largo, MD
RNY on 07/17/14

Girl I am on my 14 day liquid diet now, day 4 no cheating. Time will help you. That's my best advice to you hunny. I had a panic attack the second day...but got through it.  I was scared to even WALK into a grocery store yesterday (day 3) for fear of smelling baked goods or something yummy lol. But I did it. And today I'm visiting my parents and we are watching the Food Network right now and I'm still ok. 

Youll make it boo! Stay encouraged!!! ☺️

RNY 7/17/2014!! Decided to stop kidding myself about what I'm really doing with my life. Excited for getting back to me!!   

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 78 views