5K - I'm coming for you!

Hana K.
on 7/22/14 11:28 pm - Annapolis, MD

I averaged less than 12 minutes a mile this morning... Considering this time last year, I took 25 minutes to walk a mile, I'm pretty flipping happy... I jogged/walked 2.8 miles in 30 minutes. Yay me! 5K, I'm coming for you!‪#‎bringonthemudrun‬ ‪#‎nowIneedtoworkonthesenoodlearms‬

Had you asked me last year if I would ever get excited about running or doing a 5K, I would have said NO, emphatically and unequivocally.  "I don't run unless something is chasing me."

Now, I'm training for a 5K, starting with a personal trainer to get my strength training going, starting yoga classes... It's a whole new Hana and I'm loving it.  Sleeverella and I are a match made in heaven :P

Progress: August 2013 - 301 (HW); April 21 - 271 (SW); July 9 - 218.4 (CW)

Tracy D.
on 7/23/14 12:39 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Dang, Hana - I am completely and totally impressed!  Even now that I'm in maintenance I ascribe to the "not running unless it's chasing me" school of thinking - lol!   I really respect and look up to people who can make the transition to being a runner 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Hana K.
on 7/23/14 1:21 am - Annapolis, MD

It still feels weird to call myself a runner... It's certainly not pretty and I picture myself looking a hot mess while I'm doing it but when it's over, it feels pretty incredible :)

Thanks Tracy! Side bar - I can't wait to be in maintenance! How do you manage it? What do you do for exercise? 

Mike B.
on 7/23/14 10:25 am
Great job Hana, keep up the training. I agree with you, it fells great after any run. The first mile not so much but after that, it's all good.
I remember training for my first 5k and how excited I was, and you should be also. It's AMAZING what we can do today, that we could not do pre VSG.
Who knows Hana, after your first few 5k's, you might even sign up to run a half marathon. Since my VSG 2 1/2 years ago, I have ran a few 5 and 10k's, five 1/2 marathons and one full marathon. I am not training to qualify for Boston with a time of 3:30. I am signed up to run a full marathon in Oct. and one in Feb. So I hope I qualify in one of those.
Good luck on your first 5k. Keep us all posted on your progress. I like reading about people training for races. It's nice to know I'm not the only crazy person out there running for the fun of it.

HW:280       SW:270       OLD GW:190       NEW GW: 180       CW: 174

Hana K.
on 7/24/14 3:21 am - Annapolis, MD

Hi Mike - Thanks!! I'm pretty excited.  I do have my eye on a couple of long runs for the future like the marine corp marathon one day. Things that some friends and family have done before and I was always too afraid to join.  I'd like to get a couple of 5Ks under my belt - a mud run or two also - and then start progressing more and more.  Honestly, being from NY originally - the Tunnel-to-Towers is a major goal for me and if I feel like I'm good after this 5K in August, then I'm registering for the Tunnel for the end of September.

Thanks for the encouragement!!  You're progress and the things you're doing are awesome!

Gwen M.
on 7/24/14 4:54 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Awesome!  

I've been attempting running too, but my pace is still a little above 20.  But, whatever.  It's better than it was! I signed up for a 5k in October and can't wait :D  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Hana K.
on 7/25/14 12:14 am - Annapolis, MD

My pace was back to 14min/mil this morning... It doesn't matter... I'M RUNNING!!! Ain't that some $h*t?!?! haha It's so cool and crazy and I never really thought this would be me.

I also tried yoga for the first time and am signing up for pilates, zumba, boot camp, and whatever else I can!  It's all about evolution and trying new things as I keep progressing :)

Good luck on your 5K!! Let me know how it goes :)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views