Newbie/ First Post

hilaryhk
on 8/8/14 2:39 am
VSG on 08/13/14

Hi Everyone!

I've been lurking on this site since April, when I started the process towards getting surgery. First, thank you all for the wonderful information. As you know, it can be very overwhelming going to appointments and information sessions, trying to digest (pun intended) all of the instructions and information. And, I have found that coming to these forums, often times I can find clarification for any questions I might have. I had all of my pre-op appointments on Monday, and my surgery date is August 13th with Dr. Mattar at Oregon Health & Science University in Portland. I am very excited.

I had intended on getting the RNY, but after meeting with the surgeon, he felt more comfortable with the VSG, only because my BMI isn't extremely high (5'2", 210 lbs). I do have PCOS and Diabetes (type 2), but he feels the results should be comparable to RNY for possible improvement of those conditions. Has anyone with VSG had improved PCOS and/or Diabetes results?

Hilary

mzfree
on 8/8/14 3:00 am - Chicago, IL
with

goodluck with surgery let me know how it works out for ya

He is my help 

Lmo2291
on 8/8/14 3:54 am

Hi Hilary! I'm pre-op vsg also with PCOS, pre-diabetes, and high cholesterol. My surgeon also recommended the sleeve over the other procedures because my bmi isn't extremely high either (39.7). While I can't personally speak about the results my doctor seems certain that the sleeve will alleviate the conditions of PCOS. Best of luck with your procedure, if you want to chat more feel free to message me :)

wyo_sarah
on 8/8/14 4:57 am

I too have PCOS and my BMI isn't extrememly high... I was at 40.  I got my sleeve last week.  On my last successful diet a couple of years ago, my PCOS was helped tremendously.  I assume that it would get better no matter how you lose weight as long as you do.  Good luck!!

Tracy D.
on 8/8/14 5:42 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I was taken off all my diabetes meds the day I went home from the hospital.  My last A1c was 5.4; my fasting glucose earlier this week was 85;  yesterday the hospital did a random glucose test on me and it was 90.  

Getting off and staying off diabetes meds will require you to be hyper-vigilant about your carb intake.  Not just during the weight-loss phase but forever.  That includes severely limiting fruits and all the white starches (bread, rice, pasta).  If you can manage that, then VSG should work well for you. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

LSophia
on 8/8/14 9:45 am

My BMI is higher than yours but my surgeon agreed with me that the sleeve was a good option for me. The sleeve does not bypass the area of the intestine that really helps with diabetes but he felt the weight loss was the answer. I am only two days from surgery do I do not have results to share but would like to think I have made the right choice for me. Keep in touch 

grayC
on 8/8/14 11:22 pm
VSG on 05/01/13

Yea...in my experience

KISS THAT DIABETES MEDICINE...GOODBYE!!!

stopped taking my meds nite before surgery and was told I was in remission at 3 months out..

never needed them again...and I was a RAGING out of control diabetic (morning numbers in the 200-250 range)

for the last 2 yrs before surgery on 4 different type meds including insulin...

my A1C runs around 5.4 and my morning sugars are NEVER above 90 generally 75-85..

this surgery is a GOD SEND and NO DOUBT saved my life!

Pegasus_AM
on 8/8/14 11:31 pm

Wow your numbers are almost identical to mine. I'm 226lbs and my goal is also 135lbs. I'm so excited that you are 3 lbs away from goal and it gives me such a lift of spirit. Your a great inspiration to me :-)

Referral May 14th/14, HRRH Orientation Aug/18th/14, Surgeon (Dr.Starr) Appt Nov/28th/14, Clinic Nurse,Social Worker, Dietitian Dec/15th/14, Dr.Glazer Feb/5th/15, OptiFast Feb/16th/15, PATTS Feb/17th/15, Surgery March 2nd/15 HW 230, SW 202, CW 130

Pegasus_AM
on 8/8/14 11:37 pm

Welcome to OH !!! I can't express to you what a great decision it is to join OH. The group of people here are amazing, wonderful, fabulous, supportive and caring people. OH has been so awesome for me. I can't answer your question as I'm not as far into the process as you and I am still waiting for my orientation session but I just wanted to welcome you :-)

Referral May 14th/14, HRRH Orientation Aug/18th/14, Surgeon (Dr.Starr) Appt Nov/28th/14, Clinic Nurse,Social Worker, Dietitian Dec/15th/14, Dr.Glazer Feb/5th/15, OptiFast Feb/16th/15, PATTS Feb/17th/15, Surgery March 2nd/15 HW 230, SW 202, CW 130

MsShawna
on 8/9/14 8:12 am - OH
Revision on 05/01/17

Hi hilaryhk congratulations on your upcoming surgery and I to was a diabetic I was on metformin twice a day as well as victoza shots and the day I was released to go home they told me to stop taking all my diabetic meds and now my blood sugars run from 60 to 90 everyday!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views