CRAZINESS...NEED SOME ADVICE

alib1976
on 8/14/14 12:37 am
VSG on 10/16/14

Hi All,

I need some help.  I am now 8 weeks from being sleeved, but I have hit a bumpy stretch this past weekend and now I wonder if getting sleeved is still possible or if I would have to switch to a bypass.

For the last two weeks, I have had this pressure in my throat, which I initially dismissed as an allergy, I upped my allergy meds and thought nothing of it. 

This past Saturday, I had difficulty getting a "clear" airway.  So I went to the local ER, waste of time, the Dr. didn't want to be bothered and called it allergies and sent me home, the only thing he did was a soft tissue x-ray, which came back normal.  He didn't even run any other test.

Sunday rolls around and in the evening, I had the same problem, so this time went to Pittsburgh, I was put on fluids, they drew blood, ran a chest x-ray (well, an item off of the pre-op test list) everything back normal was sent home still feeling like something is constricting my throat.

So then on Monday the problem returns, enough that I was in tears as I couldn't get comfortable.  So back to the hospital I go.  After a day in they came back and said that they want me to do a sleep study (was supposed to this past weekend but after the issues I was having I didn't want a false positive).

So, what if this is reflux?  My endoscopy is scheduled for September 21st.  Would I be able to even get a sleeve or will  I have to look into bypass?

Thanks for any opinions!

Benja2010
on 8/14/14 1:22 am

You can get a sleeve. I had an upper endoscopy that came back showing I had an ulcer. I was given two different meds and had to do a repeat upper endoscopy 6 weeks later. I'm still taking the reflux meds but it hasn't slowed my process at all. I'm scheduled for 8/25.

alib1976
on 8/14/14 3:04 am
VSG on 10/16/14

Thanks for the info, Benja2010.  I am going to see if I can move up my endoscopy just in case, so it doesn't delay my procedure.

Dreamingofbeaches
on 8/14/14 2:02 am
with

Your situation sounds pretty similar to something I have experienced. I did the endoscopy and it was determined that I had reflux (which I suspected but not bad, I thought). Apparently the acid going up into the esophagus can cause the muscle to "dysfunction" and not work properly. I would feel a pressure in the esophagus area and sometimes nothing would go down, even spit, if it was acting up. I was out on Prilosec and it hasn't bothered me since.  I got my sleeve on 7/1, no problem.  Best wishes!

-Jen

Consult weight 4/7/14: 381.5   SW 7/1/14:

alib1976
on 8/14/14 3:03 am
VSG on 10/16/14

Thanks Dreamingofbeaches!!  Not only do I have the pressure but there is also some difficulty releasing the air.  This is miserable.   Thanks for the input. 

grayC
on 8/14/14 3:04 am
VSG on 05/01/13

I have had reflux for years..

VSG no problem

TruemansMom
on 8/14/14 6:22 am
VSG on 06/24/13

the throat feels like it's closed?  One year before VSG I have an upper endoscopy and a "baloon" proceedure that fixed a narrowing of the esphogus. totally painless procedure and got rid of the choking on food issues. That did not prevent me from having the VSG. The endoscopy may show you have the same issue and they can fix it at the same time.

Jan D.  5'-8", highest wt 231, surgery wt 213

alib1976
on 8/14/14 10:14 am
VSG on 10/16/14

Thanks Truemansmon,

It's not a closed feeling as much as it is a pressure feeling.   I get the occasional acidic taste in my mouth.   It is hard to burp, it's like the air gets trapped, honestly it's painful.   I took a Prilosec OTC and it seems to be easing the symptoms.  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 78 views