Newly hypothyroid and need some feedback

MeliT
on 8/14/14 12:48 am - Miami, FL

hey guys, i never post on here but i needed to get some feedback. i had my VSG 4yrs ago. i lost 90lbs. mot as much as most but i have PCOS. i will say that the PCOS seemed to clear up after the weightloss. i was maintaining at a decent weight for a while. then got preggers in 2012. i gained about 40lbs. this jan i finally decided it was time to get back in shape. i've been working my but off. for a while i was losing 1lb a week. which was great. but then in may/june things changed. i was working out hard 5 days a week and eating sensibly and the weight wouldn't come off or i would GAIN! and i would lose the same 3lbs over and over. its august and i've only lost 13lbs since jan. :( i really wanna get a panniculectomy but at this rate i'm scared i won't reach my goal for a LONG time and i don't want to put my life/happiness on hold. all the symptoms add up to hypothyroidism. :( seems like you can get it after pregnancy. i don't know for sure or how bad it is. seeing a doc for follow up tomorrow. 

honestly i just want to treat whatever it is i have so i can get back to where i was! forget the weightloss, i had so much energy, i was working out daily, i was strong. now even though i want to workout, i can't. i have no energy. always tired. it sucks!!!!

i was wondering if anyone else has been in this situation and if you found medication helped you to get back to your old self.

josiedlc
on 8/14/14 1:35 am
VSG on 06/23/14

I have been on thyroid meds for 5 years. Remember feeling terrible but it gets better. It takes a bit but u will get back to your normal self. Wishing u the best.

MeliT
on 8/14/14 3:14 am - Miami, FL

Thanks. I can't imagine feeling like this for 5 yrs though :/

josiedlc
on 8/14/14 6:37 am
VSG on 06/23/14

It won't take 5 years. Once u start meds it may take a couple months to kick in. It really made a difference. Good luck.

josiedlc
on 8/14/14 6:38 am
VSG on 06/23/14

Btw I am a PCOS girl too.

MeliT
on 8/15/14 12:23 am - Miami, FL

oh! whew!!!! that i can handle! thanks :)

SophieNJ
on 8/14/14 3:07 am - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

good luck with your blood tests...yes, hypothyroid can happen anytime.  but I might also suggest that your whole body went through a trauma, albeit a good one, when pregnant/giving birth.  and now you are a mother of a toddler - that alone has got to be exhausting!!  hey, 13 pounds lost since Jan is still better than gaining.  you're doing a good job.

again, good luck, I hope you get answers.

Sophie

MeliT
on 8/14/14 3:13 am - Miami, FL

That's an interesting theory and I certainly prefer that to the be case! I would rather not have hypothyroid. But my son is 20months old and I was feelin just fine till 3 months ago.

Valerie G.
on 8/14/14 7:25 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Another thing to take into consideration is your nutritional health, especially after having a baby and if you are nursing.  The baby will take it's nutrition from you and you get to make the most of what is left.  When you see the doc, make sure they do a full blood workup on your nutritional health.  You should be putting up at least a dozen vials of blood for this.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MeliT
on 8/15/14 12:26 am - Miami, FL

wow. a dozen! thats a lot! the only person i could see being a new patient was a nurse practitioner. not happy about that. she was like your symptoms sound really general blah blah blah. lets do basic bloodwork. i i think they got like 3 viles before the blood stopped coming. i have ****ty veins. i know i'm gonna have to do more thorough bloodwork. this is preliminary it seems.  i need to get a real doc or better yet a referral to an endo.

as far as nursing, no i haven't been nursing for quite some time. again my health has been just fine until just recently. my son is almost 2 yrs old. so i honestly don't think its that. but what do i know?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 288 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 340 views