Nervous about going back to work

ElizaM
on 9/1/14 2:00 am
VSG on 07/24/14

Hi eveyrone, 

I was able to take nearly 6 weeks off work post surgery. I probably didn't NEED to, but I'm really glad I was able to. It was a dead time at work and I used my time well to really focus on learning how to eat and getting in lots of exercise. But tomorrow is my first day back and I am SO anxious. Some of it is the fear I get before going in after vacation or even after a weekend. But I'm also not sure how my routine is going to work. I've done so much walking, I'm not sure how to fit it into my work day. It's going to be a hot week and I don't want to get sweaty at lunchtime.

I'm also really struggling with my wardrobe. I have casual clothes that fit me right now but my work clothes are getting too big and I haven't had any luck finding the next size down in thrift stores. 

Any advice on reentry?

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Gwen M.
on 9/1/14 2:30 am
VSG on 03/13/14

That sounds like a challenge!  Are you able to walk early in the morning before work?  Or in the evening once you get home?  Can you walk inside at work at all?  

Definitely make sure to plan for food and liquid at work.  Take a snack, just in case you find you need it, even if you haven't been having a snack.  Take plenty of water or a big bottle that you can refill while you're there. I'd rather take more food than I need than to risk being tempted by something suboptimal at work (or anywhere else).  

As for clothes, I switched to wearing skirts that have elastic waists and are "one size fits all" a few months ago.  They've been awesome.  Then I don't have to deal with bottoms at all and can just get tops that work with the skirts I've picked.  I have about 7 of them that I rotate through.  I figure they'll last for many, many, many pounds and, if I do shrink out of them, I'll have gotten my money's worth!  Plus I could take them to a tailor and get the elastic changed out for tighter stuff.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Justme7
on 9/1/14 2:42 am - ID

I really feel your pain. I have had three weeks off and go back to the doc this week and feel they will say get your ass back to work. I am not sure I am ready to go back. I am really nervous to start back to work. When I am home on the couch I feel fine but when I go do things like food shop I get tired and feel like(💩)poo. I am still having issues from having a catheter for 9 days. My body is just not back to "normal" yet.  I have not felt good for so long that I forgot how normal feels. I am eating ok but need to start thinking about lunches when I start back to work. I still have not started to exercise as I have not felt good since surgery.  

Justme7

greensleeved
on 9/1/14 4:18 am
VSG on 07/10/14 with

Ebay is a great virtual thrift store. I find cheap stuff on there all the time. And you can sell your too big old clothes to defray some of the cost too.  I also borrowed my mother's sewing machine and am planning to take in some of my clothes to get me through the transition. Haven't sewn on a machine since I was a teenager, so I plan to practice on some extra fabric first. Even a safety pin for skirts and pants can help as long as the shirt covers it.

It's good to have these sorts of problems 

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

Valerie G.
on 9/1/14 4:49 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Do you have a stairwell at work that you can climb up and down in the a/c?  I did that for the opposite reason, having returned to work in January.

For clothes, the other poster was spot-on about an elastic waist skirt.  Make it something flowy so there's room to shrink and it won't look dumb like a fitted skirt.  Get one in gray, one in black and one brown or navy.  As weather turns colder, boots and sweaters to go with it.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

TheNewT
on 9/2/14 4:36 am
VSG on 08/04/14

Been on this weight loss merry-go-round for a few years, so I have clothing for a few sizes. Black pants will always be in style. It doesn't matter that I purchased them 5 years ago! I won't have to worry about making a major wardrobe change until I hit size 10. I have a few ****ty items in that size and smaller that the hubby will enjoy, but nothing for work.

I coupon for everything. I plan to wait for sales and coupons and make big purchases then. Target is great since they will put clothes on sale, offer a paper coupon and also a % off discount called Cartwheel. Getting a pair of jeans under $10 is right up my alley.

ElizaM
on 9/2/14 5:53 am
VSG on 07/24/14

Well, day one went okay. I am shocked at how exhausted I am, even at six weeks out. I thought I had been feeling fine but I feel like I'm about to pass out at my desk.

Eating was fine, and it was even easier to get fluids in than at home. I am trying not to freak out too much about irritating things that happened while I was gone. Decisions made that I'm not happy with. But of course, if I were here, they would have happened all the same. My coworkers were so wonderful about not calling me while I was out, so there was some stuff saved up for me. 

I got up at 6:15 and walked for 35 minutes, and tonight I'll get in another walk. I did a lap around my building after lunch just to deal with the normal post-meal burps. 

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 66 views