The View from Two Months Post Surgery...

J B
on 9/15/14 2:39 am

Hello Everyone - 

It's been two months since my surgery, and I've lost 53 pounds since that day in July when I went into the operating room. Sometimes it's hard for me to believe that so much weight has left me, and as my therapist has said, it's a matter of shedding - shedding pounds and shedding layers, shedding doubts, insecurities, fears, baggage - everything.

So, there have been many lessons learned, many learned by visiting this group and getting good advice here.  This process is certainly not something one can do alone.  Get people around you!  Talk on this site!  Ask questions and communicate!  All these things are really meaningful.

On the technical side, what has been most tricky for me is transitioning to more 'normal food' - i.e., adding more carbohydrates into the diet.  Bread in particular is an odd one for me, now.  My body just doesn't like it, or at least it gets very cranky when I eat some bread and drink any fluids too soon afterward - it can really expand unpleasantly, I found out! I've had to do some eating out because of my job, traveling, things with co-workers, and it really can be tricky.  I have had a meal or two in which I really am unbelievably full and feel uncomfortable and just need to walk to get my digestion working properly.  Activity seems to help it along.  So this part, integrating oneself back into 'normal' eating, this is probably the most challenging for me.  So, when I'm eating by myself, I tend to still eat protein-heavy meals like tuna or turkey and just leave out the carbs.

Another problem for me is finding the time to integrate more exercise into my routine.  I am not getting enough, and I have such a busy schedule that it's really hard to plan for. But, it must be done, so I'm going to do my best.  Many people have recommended doing this in the morning, so I'm going to see if i can do this to jump start my day.  Fingers crossed.

One great joy of weight loss is that you begin to have a much better relationship with your body.  You're willing to look in mirrors again.  You like to wear clothes again.  You take an interest in your appearance as you used to before you were heavier.  And all of this makes you feel so much more confident about everything that you're doing.  It's a huge reinforcement.

Protein, liquids, activity, focus - these are your keys to focus.  And keep communicating.  I try to do this as much as possible.  You can only do this with help from others around you. So much more time in front of me, but these two months have been pretty amazing.

Gastric Sleeve on 14 July 2014.  Highest weight: 311, Pre-surgery weight 300, Current weight 210.

Allison L.
on 9/15/14 3:55 am - Berkeley, CA

Good for you! I'm 10 1/2 weeks out and understand many of your observations firsthand. Keep rockin that sleeve!

J B
on 9/15/14 4:00 am

Thank you Allison!  You're just a little bit ahead of me, so you know!  I'm glad you know the same feelings I do, it always feels good that there is some similarity between our experiences. Glad that you've had your successes, that's fantastic!

Gastric Sleeve on 14 July 2014.  Highest weight: 311, Pre-surgery weight 300, Current weight 210.

becomingjenn
on 9/15/14 4:05 am

Sounds like you're doing great!  I'm right behind you (7 weeks out) and feel like I could have written the exact same post.  Struggling with 'real' food, not enough exercise, starting to like the way I'm looking and feeling.  You wrote it all very eloquently!  Good luck moving forward.

Jenn

"I know things about stuff."         

DISCLAIMER: User must apply appropriate Snark and Sarcasm fonts to above post.  Failure to apply may result in feelings of irritation and/or insult.

----

Sleeve 7-25-14 / HW 333 / SW 316 / CW 155.8

nursebonnie
on 9/15/14 5:07 am
VSG on 08/19/14

Thanks JB

I am a band to sleeve revision. I lost 70 pounds with the band and so have only 35 to lose. I got the sleeve so I can keep the weight off. When my band worked it was great. I had to wait three months from band out to sleeve. I know I did this before and can be successful, but am in the dreaded three week stall. I had surgery 8/19 and lost 21 pounds in three weeks, one week pre op and two post. The scale had not budged for nearly two weeks. I am eating 400-500 calories a day so I know it will move again, but patience, focus and I must get exercise in. I am 62 and feel really fatigued from the low calories but I am going to get my a** in gear! Thanks for the reminders.

Bonnie

Justme7
on 9/15/14 11:00 am - ID

It is good to hear from you JB.  Keep up the good work, you are doing great.  Take it easy on the bread. My plan will not allow me to have bread for a year.  😩

Justme7

Pamela M.
on 9/15/14 11:33 am - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 08/25/14

Congratulations!  You are doing great. Totally relate to a lot of what you said 

The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.   Henry David Thoreau

Kelly Jean
on 9/15/14 9:04 pm
VSG on 04/08/14

JB  I'm 5 months out and still have an issue with be bread same thing happens it feels like it's expanding in my tummy so I try to stay clear !!! I'm actually dying for 1 slice of pizza lil but nope won't do it yet!! 

Your doing fabulous 2 months and 53 lbs holy cow !!! Fan freaking tastic !!!! Keep up the great work! !!:-)

♡ Kelly

kbb0185
on 9/15/14 10:30 pm
RNY on 07/15/14

I was just one day after you!  I could not agree more with everything you posted here.  My weightloss has been great, but I've noticed I need to move and keep active to see that scale move the way I want it to.  This board has been monumentally helpful in every step of the way so far.

Eating out is a struggle for me too, and one I tried to battle too soon before.  I had to cut out restaurants for a good month, and now I am experimenting again with the help of my NUT.  Soups have been my go to, but I was able to eat a salad and enjoy it last weekend.  It is now more about the people and the experience than the food.

I second the mirrors thing.  Pre-op, I wouldnt even look at my whole body in the mirror, I would stay to the side and look at half of myself because I couldn't bear the sight.  Now I stand right in front of that and am loving my outfits!

Great job so far, and keep us up to date with how you are doing :)

Surgery Date: 07/15/2014

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views