Day 2 of VSG post -op, with ???

isthatme
on 9/17/14 1:09 pm
VSG on 09/15/14

So, I'm in day two of my VSG post-op. Surgery was successful but some observation that leave me raising ?????

All through the preparations of this surgery patients are advised sugar free everything, from pre-op dieting to post-op diet. Yet every meal given me at the hospital was laced with sugar products, Regular Cranberry juice, apple juice, popsicles, and even the jello gelatin and pudding. What the h*** was up with that? And I thought everything was suppose to be clear liquids, yet on Tuesday for lunch they served me a heavily flavored beef broth, that certainly was not low sodium, and then for dinner cream of mushroom soup, minus the mushrooms. And today for breakfast I got served cream of wheat.

I had tasted a few spoonfuls of everything and of every meal then pushed the tray away. And survived on the water and powerade drinks and one popsicle.   

I had my surgery on Monday and was discharged today. My most painful experience was my liver was sore from the retractor holding it out of the way for the removal of the 80% of stomach. But by today I was feeling much better. Now my only discomfort is when the liquid**** my stomach, I get a moment of discomfort, but nothing a few more days won't take care of.

When I got home today my first thing was to pop a vitamin and grab a premier protein shake.

So knowing I could hold everything down so soon, I had another small bowl of cream of mushroom soup, and sugar free pudding, and an Italian ice cup.

Looking forward to making big strides in the next couple of months. Still happy I did this. No Regrets!!

NLHRN
on 9/17/14 2:37 pm
VSG on 08/26/14

My Hosp meals were all sugar free clear liquids as that was all I was allowed for the 1st week post op. Thick liquids starting week 2.  What did your team tell you about your post op diet?

HW-410  Consult-380  SW-364.4 

1/12/15-310.2lbs

mmsmom
on 9/17/14 9:51 pm - Woburn, MA

I had a similar experience and the dr.'s staff told me those were the only options the hospital offered - pudding, and some strange brand of meal-shake.  I had no interest in food at that point and did as you did - one or two mouthfuls and done!  

VSG on 04/28/2014

pattinavcohen
on 9/18/14 3:48 am
VSG on 08/13/14 with

I think every doc is different. You should just follow what the doc gave you as a plan. I was on full-sugar clear liquids for 2 weeks. Then moved to yogurt/pudding consistency for 2 weeks and then moist/mushy for 2 weeks. No protein shakes or vitamins until day 14. Plans vary so much I would just ask your docs office for their opinion.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 73 views