2 1/2 years out and regain. WARNING to the new people it can and will happen. Take action!

aled1223
on 9/22/14 4:22 am

I am 2 1/2 years out and am having the same regaining issues that other may have.  I have gained 18pounds and highly ticked at myself.  I did this to myself.  Allowed too many carbs in and snacking on really bad stuff.  So... went to this website and got re-motivated.  I am on my 7th day of back on track.  I am doing the plan listed in this website. Mainly protein drinks for breakfast and lunch and lean protein and green veggies for dinner.  Some say why protein drinks? Well apparently I keep breaking the rules and I need a strict plan.  I feel better already and snacking cravings are so much better.  I'll post the link and copy and paste the article I read. The whole website is very good.  Good luck everyone.

THE PLANhttp://www.bariatriceating.com/2014/09/15/closing-in-on-30-pounds-re-lost/

1. FIVE protein drinks a day, non negotiable that the first one is within 30 minutes of waking up

2. A protein centered supper with lots of low carb vegetables

3.  Save one protein drink for evening if you are a night time snacker

4.  Recharge! Get some sleep. Plan for rest and recovery.

5. High Intensity Interval Training exercises to great music.

Gosh that sounds both harder yet easier than it really is.  Get loaded up on protein drinks as the key is to start with a BANG and drop a fast five to ten pounds that will Grab your Attention and happily KEEP YOU MOVING FORWARD.

THE FOOD
I can hang in on this plan for a LONG TIME. I like absolutes. All or NOTHING. Cake or Death.

One really nice lean protein meal for supper, a tasty plate of food featuring a 4 to 6 ounce portion of solid protein. Steak, chicken, fish, shrimp, pork tenderloin, turkey or sirloin burgers surrounded by lower carb vegetables like tomato cucumber salad, broccoli, sautéed spinach or broccoli, baby green beans, rutabaga (don’t laugh), zucchini with almonds. After dinner munchies can be squashed by Fruity Speed Set Jigglin Gelatin or your last protein drink. With Inspire flavors like Peanut Butter Cookie, its a treat.

FAQ’s – Here are some answers to the questions I am asked via email over and over again.

Q: Can I have yogurt for breakfast?
A: Is yogurt a protein drink? Then NO. You can have a protein drink for breakfast.

Q: Can I have salad for lunch?
A: Is salad a protein drink? Then NO. You can have protein drink for lunch.

Q: Why can’t I substitute more food for protein drinks?
A: If you were so good at the food part you wouldn’t need to go commando to lose 30 pounds right about now, so stick to this like glue to lose the weight. Then you can add food back to screw it up.

Q: Can I skip the exercise part because have bad [check one] knees, back, ankles, neck, left pinkie AND I CANNOT EXERCISE which is why I was MO ya know.
A: NO, you can’t skip the exercise part!!! We have streaming BJ Gaddour exercise videos where your feet do not leave the floor. With all due respect, stop the bs, you are fooling no one but yourself telling people you can’t exercise. This weekend I saw Prince Harry playing full field football with teams in wheelchairs! If you don’t want to exercise, that is fine as it’s up to you, but lets get real with the ‘I can’t’. Sorry, but everyone you say that to does an eye roll.

Stacy_WLS
on 9/22/14 4:42 am

Good luck getting back on track.  18 lbs isn't too bad.  I'm terrified of this happening. 

Are you worried that by going so hardcore on a "diet" that you may have troubles again in the future?  I'm trying to work my plan that allows weight loss, but is not so strict that I couldn't do it for the rest of my life. 

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

aled1223
on 9/22/14 4:51 am

I think once I see that I am loosing again, maybe after 10lbs, I will cut back on the protein drinks and stick with lean protein and green veggies.  But I can never allow carbs in for me personally.  I do not do well with them.  I apparently crave them more when I eat them.  What amazes me I can gain weight even when I do not go crazy on the calories.  I still have great restriction.  But carbs slide right through just fine. 

Stacy_WLS
on 9/22/14 4:55 am

I know.  Carbs are really evil (in my mind).  If I eat meat & veg -- 150 -200 calories will make me happy.  Carbs can be endless.

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

G5x5
on 9/22/14 4:57 am - VA

Let me point you in another direction.  It has already worked for me...

Google "NSNG", "Fat Adapted", "Cereal Killers", "Dr. Timothy Noakes", "Dr. John Briffa", and/or "Vinnie Tortorich".

The "Cereal Killers" one in particular will take you to a one hour documentary, that is very fun to watch, and is a good place to start.  You do have to rent or purchase it, but I swear it's worth every penny.  The rest will get you access to lots of free information and, if you choose, some book suggestions which are also worthwhile.  However, you don't really have spend a dime to get the right information if you don't want to.

Ultimately, these searches should start you on a path leading to a different "lifestyle" choice around eating.  It's really just as simple as "No sugars, no grains" and shifting towards higher fat foods.  The information found in the searches will just help you understand, and hopefully come to trust, why this works.  Follow this method of eating and you'll never count calories, or follow any diet, or worry about that piece of cake, again.  However, you will still loose weight by embracing what the body is designed to do.

When I read your post, I saw alot of similarities with what I faced over the summer.  I more or less accidently stumbled over all the above while trying to process my own small regain.  Once I learned enough to trust in the process, and adopted it "all in", I boosted my calories, ate more, and still lost 12 pounds in the first 30 days of the process.  That's 12 pounds when I'm not all that far from my normal BMI.

Basically, in summary, follow the thread and free yourself forever...

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

A. Kondrlik
on 9/22/14 7:18 am
VSG on 01/24/13

thanks for the resources.  I actually have looked at a few of them, I am a little scared to completely drop grains.  I only (mostly) eat whole grains like kamut, ww barley, 100% ww bread. I am 21 mos out and starting to struggle a bit.

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

G5x5
on 9/22/14 11:32 am - VA

The grains are a two part devil.

As long as they're in your system, crazy as it seems, the sugar/insulin dynamics they cause are driving the impulses you're struggling with.  If you can drop it all, and go completely grain free, and nearly sugar free, long enough to slip through the "sugar flu" (also known as "the keto flu" - sound familiar?), then your brain clears up on the other side.  Once you make it through, the impulses all go away.

The objective, and it works, is to be fat adapted.  Once you achieve that, you gain true freedom from hunger impulses.  You may find yourself forgetting to eat if you're busy.  Right now I eat over 2,000 dense calories based on the NSNG process and I'm loosing weight at the same rate as I lost it originally.  I track everything via the aria scale, so I have lots of charts which I plan to post in a month or so.

The second part of the devil is the damage grains actually do to your body.  Contrary to the constant spread of misinformation, there are no good grains.  Nutrition science has been faulty and much of what people think is based on "If you say something often enough it becomes true".   Those sources I mentioned will detail the whole story as it unfolded from the 70's if you follow through them.

The quickest best source of proof about grains is to track down the sources dealing with the origins of paleo.  Whether you go paleo or not is up to you, but they have the story right on how your body handles grains.   Personally, I'm not paleo because I eat quality whole fat cheese everyday.

I understand that the message in those resources is tough to believe.  It took me eight weeks of processing before I had enough faith to take the leap.  In those eight weeks I heard hundreds of success stories that all had a common theme.  Once I took the plunge, everything folded into place exactly as they said it would.

Your pictures and posts were an inspiration to me following surgery, that's why I want you to follow me down this path.  It's my way of paying back for all that inspiration early on.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

Ms Shell
on 9/22/14 5:03 am - Hawthorne, CA

You've taken control....much success!!

downhome
on 9/22/14 6:23 am

Did you weigh daily? Or journal your food?

aled1223
on 9/22/14 6:39 am

Yes, I weigh everyday and have ever since surgery so this weight is no surprise.  I saw it creeping up a few ounces at a time here and there.  Then I would be like ok it just 2 lbs.  Then bam.  That it is just 2 lbs kept creeping in.  I used my myfitnesspal.  Noticed the word used.  Thought about going back in and looking at my biggest lost weeks and repeating whatever I did.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 81 views