Help Please, having a hard time

britterzvoice
on 9/26/14 10:35 am

UH! I have been so down lately -

I am 4 weeks post op and depressed. I just want to be like everyone else. I feel guilty for eatting bad though. Its a terrible cycle. I feel like I am going back to my old ways.

I eat healthy for the most part and I go to the gym EVERYDAY between 45min-2hrs. Running at least a mile plus weight training.

But I catch myself taking a bite of bad food or worrying that I ate too much. I sometimes forget to bring my cup to measure and freak out that I ate to much.

I have lost 30lbs already... Does the weigth start coming off faster? Will this guilt ever go away??

Thanks for reading :/

lovingme9908
on 9/26/14 10:41 am
VSG on 10/06/14

Do you have a local support group you can go to or a counselor? Try carrying food with you that you can eat, so when you get hungry you at least have something good to eat.  Keep a couple extra measuring cups maybe in carry around bag. 

From what I understand, we have to work hard at getting the best results from our new tool. Stay focus and keep reminding yourself of why you did this. Good luck!

britterzvoice
on 9/26/14 10:44 am

Thank you!

Gwen M.
on 9/26/14 10:46 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I highly recommend finding a therapist that you click with.  This surgery works on our stomachs, but not on our brains and having a therapist can really help you sort out everything you're going through.  

And 30 pounds in 4 weeks?!  That's AMAZING.  How fast were you expecting to lose?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Ihearttennis
on 9/26/14 10:51 am - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

You are doing better than you think.  You are still so early out that you may not know when you are full because your nerves were severed and you're not completely healed. It is important to weigh, measure and record every bite you take.  Take advantage of this time and start developing new eating habits. You can do this!! 

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

anninva
on 9/26/14 11:26 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with

Therapy is a good idea. And you really need to be kind to yourself hon. This is hard. But you CAN do it!!!!!!  Hugs. 

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

luvmypuggies
on 9/26/14 12:41 pm

Forgive me if I'm misinterpreting what you wrote, but it sounds to me like you're doing fantastic!  You're exercising a lot, and if you're really eating on plan most of the time, then that's super!  Seriously, 30 lbs already is really fast.

Now for the other part.  We will never be "like everyone else" and will always have to keep our heads in the game.  Surgery is not a magical process that allows you to eat any old thing and still lose weight.  That being said, you sound like you're doing really really well with your eating, and the occasional oops isn't a horrible thing.  The horrible thing is if you allow that to suck you back in to the bad patterns that got us all in this pickle in the first place.  If you feel yourself slipping a bit, then immediately start tracking every bite that goes in your month so you can focus on protein and monitoring calories, drink lots and lots of water, and most importantly - cut the carbs way way way down.  For me, and for many people on this forum, carbs are the path to depression, guilt, and sabotaging your weight loss.  It's tough for a couple of days, but then you'll start feeling better and it will be easier.  I think the guilt does go away eventually, because you can allow yourself a special treat periodically and know how to work it into your life without letting the carb-monster take over. :)

Hang in there - you can do this!!  (And reading this board regularly helps!)

56sunShine14
on 9/26/14 12:43 pm, edited 9/26/14 12:45 pm

Honey...you have lost 30 pounds in 4 weeks, that is 7.5 pounds PER WEEK on average!!!  Are you kidding?    As Bette said in a post today, RELAX.  Your emotions will be out of sorts for a bit because you just traumatized your body with a major surgery and this is completely normal to feel depressed or all over the board with emotions.

And, I am no doctor but it seems to me that you are doing way too much exercise for what your body can handle just yet.  Has your surgeon asked this of you? 

Please just settle down a bit and let your body recover from what has happened to it.  Enjoy the ride.

Edited to add:  the other posts above me have excellent advice also.  Stay on OH for great info and yes, finding a therapist could do a world of good for you.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Blithe1212
on 9/26/14 8:03 pm
VSG on 03/05/14

You will lose quickly the first several months even without exercise. It is a good idea to get a routine in now. I myself thought the same thing about bites. I felt really guilty. Shedding weight releases hormones. I was so moody I couldn't even stand myself. This will get easier. You are doing great! 

Laura in Texas
on 9/26/14 9:51 pm

Generally, as time goes by you will lose less per month.

The "guilt" can create a vicious cycle (eat something, feel guilty, eat more, repeat). Find a way to deal with it or maintenance will be impossible.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views