No Sleeve for me for at least another two years :(

bkitt
on 9/29/14 6:39 am

I had been devouring information on this website and was getting so excited about the possibility of getting a VSG. Unfortunately I found out from my insurance company that my employer has a stipulation that certain special services, like bariatric surgery, would be covered only once an employee has been with the company for five years. I only just hit three years...so I have a long wait ahead of me. I'm a little heartbroken but I'm going to do my best to keep trying to lose weight on my own until then. Please allow me to continue to live vicariously through all of you and the amazing success you share on this board.

Sammy D.
on 9/29/14 6:43 am - New Bern, NC
VSG on 11/06/14

I don't know if it is an option for you, but maybe you can go self pay. That's what I am having to do as my insurance excludes all WLS. I took out a couple loans for my surgery, I'm doing mine here in the US. I'm sure Mexico could be affordable as well, this was my back up plan.

HW: 478+ Consult: 478 Pre Op: 453 SW: 438 CW: 293 (7-20-15) GW: 225 LBS Gone: 185

VSG with Dr. T. Ryan Heider at the Center for Surgical Weight Loss at Lake Norman 11-6-14

ACTS 2:38

Stacy_WLS
on 9/29/14 7:16 am

I could not have waited once I made up my mind.  I was fortunate enough to be able to self pay.  I would have gone to Mexico (but my parents freaked out).  If you can swing it, it is totally worth it.  2 years of having your health back -- see if you can make it happen.

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Kinde
on 9/29/14 7:23 am

I am so sorry! My insurance made it impossible for me to get the surgery as well! I was fortunate enough to take out a loan and did self pay.  If you are able to do this, the doctor probably has a discount rate for cash AND you do not have to wait as long to have the surgery.  It was worth every penny! Good Luck!

FemFatale
on 9/29/14 7:32 am

I love and can appreciate your positive attitude. Ive been with my company for almost a decade and was surprised the insurance company easily approved my surgery. It was my PCP that held my submittal up for WEEKS.

I will definitely be following you!!! Any way you loose it is great! In the meantime, see what IS covered. Perhaps...nutrition and counseling..utilize those too.

Wildnwonderful
on 9/29/14 7:51 am

They might offer a payment plan. I would try to get it self pay if it is an option.  Any way you do it is great. Keep up that determination. I am pre-op  and still have two more months wait until I can schedule my surgery. I am getting so anxious.

bkitt
on 9/29/14 11:04 am

Thank you for the replies and encouragement, I appreciate it.

I've had some lengthy discussions about self-pay with my husband, even before I found out for sure that insurance wouldn't pay. He and I have a massive amount of student loan debt so we're going to have to tread carefully before tacking on any additional loans. He knows how badly I want this and I know he'll be supportive while I'm exploring options but he's definitely keeping me grounded, too...honestly I had half a mind to just slap down a credit card and get myself scheduled, but I don't think paying those interest rates would be ideal!

I've got a lot of research to do for facilities. The only hospital I've been in contact with is one a few hours away because it was one of my insurer's center of excellence, and I know they don't take financing. My insurer told me the full cost for the surgery would be 29k. This is kind of on the high end for VSG, isn't it? (I hope)

HW: 419 CW: 354 

Hopeful (eventual) VSG candidate!

Sammy D.
on 9/29/14 1:50 pm - New Bern, NC
VSG on 11/06/14

Just to help out if I can. I decided for myself that it was worth going into debt to do this. For me, I refinanced my truck and took out an unsecured loan for the rest. I'll be locked in for 5 years, but in my situation I felt saving my life was much more important than the debt of surgery.

Below is a link to a great doctor in Mooresville, NC who has a great self pay package (all inclusive) with complication insurance for about half the price or more than half, depending on your BMI. I'm having surgery with Dr. Heider November 6th, and so far I am thoroughly impressed with him, his staff, and Lake Norman Regional Medical Center. Hope this helps out, and by all means message me if you have any questions.

I know this is super important to you, and I was in your shoes just a couple months ago, now my vision is becoming reality, and I believe it can for you too. Best of luck in your journey.

http://www.lnrmcsurgicalweightloss.com/content/patient-resou rces

HW: 478+ Consult: 478 Pre Op: 453 SW: 438 CW: 293 (7-20-15) GW: 225 LBS Gone: 185

VSG with Dr. T. Ryan Heider at the Center for Surgical Weight Loss at Lake Norman 11-6-14

ACTS 2:38

kaoconnor
on 9/29/14 11:19 am

I feel your pain.  I decided on surgery and even went from FL to Atlanta to meet with a surgeon.  Then a couple health issues derailed me for four years.  It was another year before I found a closer surgeon and got all the clearances.  I wish I'd had the surgery earlier in my life, but you know what?  I had it, and that has made all the difference. 

The wait is tough.  But keep your goal sharply in focus, don't stop looking for alternative methods to pay for the surgery and you'll be another success story before you know it.  Hang in there!

Jules78
on 9/29/14 11:38 am - GA
VSG on 05/01/14

I know your pain!  I originally decided on surgery back in 2009 and was denied because my employer had a WLS exclusion. Fast forward 5 years and here I sit 5 months post op. I would check out the Mexico board. I think the going rate down there is about $4500 - $5000. There are some very reputable surgeons down there doing the surgery just over the border. Might be worth a look-see!

youtube channel- silkiilocks

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 93 views