Band is out, but no sleeve

lianna
on 10/12/14 8:15 am - South, TX
VSG on 03/09/15 with

I had my LapBand removal yesterday morning.   The Dr. said there was so much scar tissue and adhesions that he initially thought there would be no way I would be viable to have the Sleeve done.  I had adhesions from the band trying to attach to my liver, he said the damage was very bad and the band came out none too soon.  DH said I was in surgery for 2 hours.  Scary.   

After removing the band and cleaning away the scar tissue he changed his opinion, and if I wait 6 months for my stomach to heal he WILL do the VSG on me!!!   I am feeling devasted and disappointed today, but I am still grateful to have that damn Band removed too.  It is so depressing though....  I was really excited to start this new chapter

Lianna   lapband 2005, removed 2014.  VSG 3/9/15

poet_kelly
on 10/12/14 8:32 am - OH

I'm sorry you have to wait but really glad for you that you will be able to have the sleeve in time.  And I'm so sorry the band has done so much damage.  I really feel for people that got the band, having been told it was the least invasive option and totally reversible, only to end up with damage like that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

lianna
on 10/12/14 8:36 am - South, TX
VSG on 03/09/15 with

Thank you.  I have wished a 1,000 times over that I had waited and had the sleeve done.  10 years ago it was all about the LapBand... I cant believe they still perform that WLS, and I cant believe people still choose it over other permanent successful options. 

poet_kelly
on 10/12/14 8:39 am - OH

Some surgeons don't do it anymore.  Some hospitals won't do it, either, including the Mayo Clinic.  But yeah, I'm surprised some still do and I can't understand why anyone would choose to have it done.  I understand 10 years ago, but these days there is so much information out there about the low rate of success and the high rate of complications, I don't know why anyone would choose it now.  I'd rather have no WLS than have the band.  But 10 years ago, there wasn't so much information about the problems available.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

KattattaK
on 10/12/14 11:55 am

Thank you poet_kelly! I was one such person who was told those exact words, and here I am almost 10 years later needing to have this thing removed. And I had to fight like hell for years to have removal authorized. I'm so afraid of what they will find once they go in to remove it 😰

lianna
on 10/12/14 2:57 pm - South, TX
VSG on 03/09/15 with

I found that removal has been MUCH easier than the original surgery.  Not sure if it is that way for everyone, but I have felt great.  I haven't even had the gas pains. 

KattattaK
on 10/13/14 3:43 am

Lianna, I am so happy to hear this!!! Hoping things will go well for me once my band is removed! By the way, I sent you a message yesterday. 

HarvestMoon1974
on 10/12/14 8:52 pm - Keyport, NJ
Revision on 05/01/14

I am forever grateful for the fact that I started out with so much weight to lose, that my surgeon felt the band wouldn't be a good enough option for me. Otherwise I'd probably be going through the hell that most of the banded wls patients I know, have gone through. One time when being SMO was actually to my advantage lol

" Life is a roller coaster, enjoy the ride"
Carol 378/189/170

Thankful for my little miracles Joshua and Daniel.

JAZZY150
on 10/12/14 10:20 am

I'm a former lapband as well.  I had mine out about three months ago.  My Doctor will never remove the band and do the sleeve the same time, because of exactly the scare tissue issue.  I thought the three months would seem like a life time, my surgery is schedule for October 21!!!  I think these three months has given my time to work through the issues with the band and come to a happier place with food.  Hope you are feeling better without the band. 

lianna
on 10/12/14 10:58 am - South, TX
VSG on 03/09/15 with

I am so jealous and happy for you!  I know just how you feel/felt on wanting to get on with this process.   I wish you speedy recovery and a comfy seat on the loser side. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 93 views