Progress, but also a stall...

J B
on 10/23/14 9:33 pm

Hello group - I'm in that strange spot which I'd hoped I would avoid for a while, but it's caught up with me.  I've reached a significant stall in my weight loss.  I'm at about 3 month post-op.  I've been hovering at the same weight (232) for about two weeks now.  I have noticed a very slight increase in appetite, but my calorie intake is still very low.  The demands of my job have made it very tricky to get in enough exercise.  I do know that I'm not having enough fluids, and this may be part of my problem.

At the same time I say this, I should also say that I'm very happy with the progress I've made so far.  I've lost 67 pounds since surgery, 78 pounds since my highest weight this year.  I am feeling so much better physically and emotionally.  But the jolt of happiness that I'd get at the scale as the pounds come off has not occurred for a while and it's disappointing.  Any thoughts on this subject, or how to handle it? Thanks for your thoughts.

beforeafter

Gastric Sleeve on 14 July 2014.  Highest weight: 311, Pre-surgery weight 300, Current weight 210.

jenn1469
on 10/23/14 9:43 pm

Wow you lost a lot of weight you look great. .. I uped my calories and I finally lost 2 pounds 

Jennifer

Stacy_WLS
on 10/23/14 11:47 pm

keep drinking water and watching your calories.  The exercise is more about feeling good and being healthy than it affects the scale.  If you ge****er, protein and keep your calories in check the scale will move again.  Try not to stress about it, just keep the routine.  

Great job so far -- your results are amazing :)

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Grim_Traveller
on 10/24/14 12:22 am
RNY on 08/21/12

This exactly. Work the plan, and it will happen.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

G5x5
on 10/24/14 1:15 am - VA

Two weeks isn't really a stall/plateau.  Also, you are most likely just shifting water and fat around at this point while your body shape is improving.

If it lasts six weeks, rethink the food looking at any sugars/grains/dairy/nuts.

Lastly, your body will make a metabolic response to a decrease in calories.  You can over power with the low calorie diet, but there is a dimishing effect on weight loss as the process progresses.  I don't believe you've reached that point yet, but it will come after several more months.

Just learn to be patient and enjoy the other perks of weight loss.  Patience is the suckiest part of this process.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

grayC
on 10/24/14 2:36 am
VSG on 05/01/13

Your doing and looking great JB

work the program, it'll start up again eventually

however I think I'm safe in saying that everyone here 

has gotten scale obsessed during their journey

i know I have big time for the past year and a half

and am just now at a place where as long as I see it

in my range of comfort I'm not

obsessing, but it takes a long time to come to that point.. 

Tracy D.
on 10/24/14 2:41 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Whenever the scales takes a "pause" (and you are truly sticking to the plan) it's because your body is adjusting.  While the scale won't move, you'll notice that your pants get bigger and your shirts get looser.  You're losing fat but retaining water so it appears nothing is happening on the scale.  

Tip:  up your water to AT LEAST 80 oz. a day, 100 oz. if you work out and start taking weekly measurements of your waist and stomach.  You'll see a difference! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Amber G.
on 10/24/14 3:09 am
VSG on 04/02/14

Wow, huge difference! You are doing awesome! 

TheNewT
on 10/24/14 3:25 am
VSG on 08/04/14

I'll add my 2 cents. Before surgery I wrote out a list of NSVs I'd like to accomplish. If/when I hit a stall I can always pull out that list and check off items. That will help distract me from focusing on a number. I wrote things like, painting my toe nails without catching a cramp, completing a 5K, doing more than 10 situps. 

You are doing a great job so far. The scale will move again. Just do as others have suggested and stick to the program that brought you so far!

Dimplezzz2002
on 10/24/14 3:55 am

Looking good JB...while I'm a newbie (only 14 days post-op) I would like to suggest you return to your pre-op liquid diet for a couple of days to see if that can get the needle moving again. I would also suggest after the couple of days on full liquid you return to a basic diet...protein and veggies and fruit. Make sure you reduce your carb intake. Hopefully this will give your body a jolt.  Good luck to you and keep up the good work!!!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views