How to exercise with painful arthritis in knees

(deactivated member)
on 10/26/14 5:55 am

First of all, I simply can't figure out how to post a picture to my header page.  I am not computer illiterate by any means, but would like some information on that subject.

My main reason for posting is that I am 66, yes 66, and had the gastric sleeve on 9/9/14.  After a couple of weeks I started exercising.  I started this journey weighing 259 pounds and am 5 feet 3 inches.  I am of Italian heritage and carry my weight in my butt and thighs.  I used to have an awful lot of trouble even walking upon waking in the morning.  After a few steps I am fine, but my knees ache because of osteoarthritis.  I have made the decision to get cortisone injections in my knees.  The knees don't hurt all the time, but after exercise I can't exercise unless I take a day or two off.

I tried going to the gym last week and couldn't take more than 3 minutes on the elipitical because of knee pain.  I used to love to use the elliptical.  I then tried the recumbent bike, same thing there.  I was OK with the treadmill for a bit and knees started hurting again. I know I am not a young spring chicken but I used to love, love to exercise because I suffer from anxiety and the endorphins have nature's best natural feel good calming effect. 

Any oldsters out there with any ideas for exercises I can do every day..besides walking..I live in an area with a lot of traffic so that is out for now? I have lost about 35 pounds including my pre op diet so far.  And I know exercise will help me lose more. 

Fran001
on 10/26/14 6:03 am - MI

Exercising in water -- aquarobics, swimming, etc -- is great because there's no stress on the joints.  Sitting-down exercises where you exercise your arms and upper body -- try those giant resistance rubber bands -- will also help with the weight loss and won't hurt the knees.

(deactivated member)
on 10/26/14 6:11 am

Thank you very much.  I love to do aerobics, but I will try these exercises. 

Gwen M.
on 10/26/14 7:51 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Definitely check out a pool that offers water aerobics, etc.  Also, if you have local senior centers they should offer low-impact classes and classes specifically designed for people with impaired mobility!  Regular gyms might offer those things as well :)  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

stormymunday
on 10/26/14 8:50 am

i am 54 and have r/a...14yrs and will be sleeved in dec, i started working out again, i experienced the same problems u are encountered. I solved this by water exercises and senior pilates,sit fit sessions. I wish u well on your  journey.

Tealeyes
on 10/26/14 9:17 am
VSG on 11/12/14

I am 66 also...and have knee replacements but I still have a problem walking when I first get up...and can't walk a long time.  I am hoping that losing the weigh will help me with my knee pain.  I have my surgery 11/12/14. Looking forward to it so much!!

Congratulations on your weight lose!

(deactivated member)
on 10/26/14 10:04 am - Loganville, GA

Water is your best friend.  No impact and will work the joints well.  I just wish I could find a pool near me. 

56sunShine14
on 10/26/14 1:14 pm

The other thing you might be able to do is the NuStep.  It is like riding a bile in a slight reclining position but it doesn't take the hard toll on the knees like the recumbent and treadmills.  I have had both knees replaced and before the second one was done, I had to do the NuStep and thought it would hurt but it really didn't.  I couldn't go for more than 10-15 minutes but that was enough anyway.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

chevtow41
on 10/26/14 1:28 pm
DS on 11/11/14

I've read that the elliptical can be hard on the knees because it's not a natural motion. I've had numerous cortisone shots and they really don't help me. One shot that did work is called Synvisc, ask your doc about it, it actually worked on my right knee for over 3 years. The other thing that has made a huge difference is Diclofenac. If I stop taking it for even a day or two, it gets much harder to walk. If you've tried these already sorry to waste your time. Keep working at it and kudos for continuing the effort despite the pain!!

(deactivated member)
on 10/26/14 1:48 pm, edited 10/26/14 2:02 pm

I am terrified of the Synvisc shot because my niece, who is 41, has bad knees because of her weight (she had the lap band and did lose a lot of weight, but this past year has been tragic for her and she has had at least fifty pound regain), had this shot.  She passed out from the pain.  I am even terrified to get the cortisone shot because I have absolutely no tolerance to pain.  As for any drug that contains NSAIDS, I keep getting the same puppet like reply from the surgeon's office: Take Tylenol or call your PCP. They don't want me taking NSAIDS yet.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views