Eating tips and advice PLEASE .......

Betty Jo L.
on 11/19/14 11:15 am

Today I am 14 days post op. I'm into stage two as of today. So far it has been rough to eat my meals at the right times. Not eating my meals at the same time every day will that stop me from losing weight? This I harder then I thought. I been very emotional lately wondering why I can't seem to get on track. Please tell me this is normal. I'm slowly getting into exercising. I know it's crucial to do but it have muscular dystrophy and with the slippery ice out there I panic to go out. I need to be strict with my eating times. I have not cheated on my foods. Please any advice would be great at this point. 

Be Happy and live your life to the fullest          
Ihearttennis
on 11/19/14 11:48 am - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

I can only tell you that from my experience, I never ate my meals at the same time every day; and still don't.  I believe at this point in your journey you need to be focusing on staying hydrated and meeting your protein goals.  I stayed at around 600-800 calories, 100 grams of protein and under 40 carbs.  I also don't think that you HAVE to exercise to lose the weight, you lose because of your diet.  Having said that, exercise is important because mentally it helps you to feel good and motivates you to do better on your diet. It also helps to strengthen your muscles and improve your overall health.  If you can't go outside, walk around the mall or do chair exercises or a work out video on your tv.  If you can afford it, invest in a treadmill or elliptical.  I found a used one on Craigs list. 

You are still early out so don't be hard on yourself.  Use this time to form good habits and enjoy the process.  You have so many exciting things ahead of you to look forward to.  Write in your journal, track everything you eat and take weekly measurements. 

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

knolmom
on 11/19/14 12:13 pm

Great reply. Having RNY on dec3, so happy that they moved it up from January 14. I have a mobility issue with a very bad leg following an accident, and I walk with a walker or cane. I am very worried about how I am going to exercise after the surgery. My exercise usually involves swimming but I understand that this cannot be done for at least 6 weeks. I am thankful for the suggestion about chair exercise. I have a sit and fit exercise video somewhere in the house that I will look for in preparation for coming home.

Tracy D.
on 11/19/14 11:24 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Congratulations on 2 weeks post-op!   I'll try to address your concerns: 

1.  I don't believe that eating on a schedule is necessary to losing consistent weight.  Eating and drinking on a schedule helps me so I don't snack my life away but don't stress out about it.  As long as you get all your liquids and all your protein in during the day, you're golden. 

2.  Part of the emotional rollercoaster right now is because your fat cells store hormones and as you release fat there are extra hormones coursing through your system.  Some people get really sad, some get *****y (I did) and some people just feel high-strung and out of sorts.  It will pass...promise. 

3.  Exercise:  don't worry about this.  Many people lose all their weight without exercising!  Exercise isn't how you lose weight; the battle of the bulge is won in the kitchen - period.  Exercise is about strengthening those weak muscles and improving your cardiovascular health.  With your diagnosis, it would be nuts to go out on icy, slippery surfaces.  Stay safe and warm inside and do simple stretches that get the blood flowing and make you feel good.  Tai Chi, Pilates...I would start there.  And all of that can be done inside the safety of your own home. 

Good luck on this adventure! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Gwen M.
on 11/21/14 12:34 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I don't eat at the same times every day, since when I eat really depends on what my daily schedule is.  It certainly hasn't hindered my weight loss at all!  

As for the emotions - are you seeing a therapist?  There's a lot of mental stuff going on during this process and a therapist can really help.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 65 views