Post Surgery Weight Loss Hasn't Even Started Yet!?!?!?

Cheshire54
on 11/18/14 4:12 am

I am 15 days post op and the scale hasn't moved!  I was losing more before surgery!!!  Does the dreaded "stall" start immediately after surgery?  I have an appointment with the surgeon on Friday and I'm gonna be embarrassed to go.  I am so disappointed.  What should I be eating on this 3rd week out?  Do I need more protein to jump start some weight loss?

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 11/18/14 4:18 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Sometimes you retain fluids that they pump into you during surgery.

Are you tracking everything you eat/drink?  Are you drinking enough fluids?  If you're not hydrating enough, that can be a reason why the weight is holding on.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Belle Ink
on 11/18/14 5:11 am

Be patient. I was a little disappointed in my first month weight loss as well. I think part of it is your body is healing and getting over the trauma of surgery and part of it is you are probably not getting enough protein. You will hit the three week stall, if you don't then you are an exception to the norm. Just keep doing what your dr and your plans says and it will work.

emelar
on 11/18/14 5:42 am - TX

Stalls happen.  There's no magic about the "3 week stall" - it just happens to be where a lot of people experience their stall.  You hit yours early, which isn't unusual if you were losing weight before surgery.  Just stay on program.  As long as you're doing what you're supposed to do, there's no reason to be embarrassed at your appointment.  Your body will figure it out sooner or later and the weight will start coming off.

Gwen M.
on 11/18/14 7:32 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Totally normal.  You get pumped full of fluids during surgery and it takes time to get rid of that weight before you can start losing more weight.  Some people even gain weight after surgery!  

What does your surgeon's plan say you should be eating at 3 weeks?  

How much protein are you getting now?  How many ounces of fluids?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Twinsmom03
on 11/18/14 9:51 am
VSG on 10/30/14

I will be 3 weeks post op sleeve on Thursday. I am suppose to be getting at least 60 grams of Protein and am following a pureed diet per my surgeons recommended meal plan progression. I will start soft foods next Thursday which will be a month out. Also they recommend atleast (I believe) 60 0z of calorie free, sugar free, non carbonated fluids a day. Review what you are suppose to be eating. Seems every doc is different. Follow the basic guidelines, ie.. eat slowly, chew several times and no drinking during your meal or atleast a half hour after your meal.  Good luck!

Kelly Jean
on 11/18/14 9:02 pm
VSG on 04/08/14

It's fluids it stinks but it will come off don't fret it!!! :-) 

♡ Kelly

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views