Most annoying thanksgiving ever

Sharshar_
on 11/27/14 12:28 pm - Hilton head island, SC

so I'm holed up in my room because there are all kinds of delicious thanksgiving fixins and I can't eat anything.... I'm being accused of being antisocial but what do they honestly expect of me on a day like today...

Friends K.
on 11/27/14 12:32 pm
RNY on 01/14/14

Drink a glass of water. Sit away from the food. Focus on the people. Relish every person.

5'4" SW=285 PreOp=-13 (surgery @272#,1/14/14), 2week=-12 (260#), 1M=-20 (252#), 2M=-9.5(242.5#), 3M=-18 (224#), 4 M =-10 (214#), 5 M=-11 (202#) 6 M=-11(190.5), 7M=-7.5 (183), 8 M=-6 lbs (177) 9M=-5 (172) 10M=-7.5 (164.5#)

katygee
on 11/27/14 1:18 pm, edited 11/27/14 1:20 pm
DS on 11/14/14

Really - I agree Friends K!   This is the first thanksgiving I can remember where I have the energy and lightness to do some cuddling with my hubby after a day spent focused on people and not when dinner was going to be ready or when dessert was served or scrambling trying to make sure I got a plate fixed up for tommorow before all the good stuff went away.

I am LOVING thanksgiving with the focus being on thanks and not food!

LosingSarah
on 11/27/14 8:35 pm - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

I agree with the previous posters. Why focus on the food and make yourself miserable?  Focus on your family.

That's what it's all about for me. Part of being successful in the long run will be to "re-program" your previous way of thinking. For me, pre-op, I was pretty much ALWAYS focused on food, and holidays or celebrations that involve feasting was like winning the lottery. Now, I will make the best choices I can with what is in front of me when it is meal time, and just enjoy the people around me. That is what is truly is about.

November18
on 11/27/14 9:09 pm
VSG on 11/18/14

I understand. I'm right behind you. My family traveled to Boston for the holiday and I chose to stay home. I feel I'm doing well, but it is REALLY hard. I don't know how I missed how little you get to eat for a long time after this surgery. I'm one of the unlucky ones that feels hungry all the time. It's so hard. I hope I get it together more before Christmas. I won't be able to avoid that one. Everything will take place here!! Hope you are feeling better. It's hard not to feel deprived , I think, early out because we haven't even experienced great results yet. I still don't believe I'm going to lose! Take care!

Bonnie

Gwen M.
on 11/27/14 10:14 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I'd be more annoyed with the other people who are calling you antisocial.  They should be more understanding of how complicated it can be to be around so much food and people eating food.  I don't blame you for holing up away from that.  Try to find something fun to occupy yourself with!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sarah1217
on 11/27/14 10:23 pm

This was the first holiday since my surgery and I found it to be easier than I thought. I didn't let the food controll me like it use to do. You can't let food win anymore and if you just try to ignore it it will just keep nagging at you. You have to face it head on. However, the people calling you antisocial don't seem to be giving you the dupport you need. Just take on day at a time and one step at a time. You'll get there and it will be remarkable :)

Annievvho
on 11/28/14 7:52 am - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

My surgery was 11/29/2013 - the day AFTER Thanksgiving last year. That meant I was still hungry, but unable to eat anything because of the pre-op diet. My mom was incredibly kind in planning our Thanksgiving 2 weeks early last year, so I was able to enjoy one last Thanksgiving and I had the good fortune of knowing it would be the last Thanksgiving I would enjoy in that way. I am also lucky in that my village - my support system - is vast. I have so many family members and friends who support me in whatever I do, so they have been amazing working with me on my needs - whether they know the reason or not. It's really helped me get through the harder parts of this. 

That said, I was a few days shy of solid foods on Christmas last year. My NUT said I could go ahead and start solids on Christmas Day so I could enjoy a little bit of food. I was careful and measured and made healthy versions of foods (egg whites and turkey sausage). I only ate a tiny little bit of food, and was miserable for about 30 minutes before I got sick. It took me 2 more weeks to get back to more solid food, so I feel for your struggle with this time of year. Eventually, it gets better, and you learn to be excited about other things besides food. I'm sorry you are feeling so isolated. Maybe you could attend a local support group, make some friends there that you would be comfortable calling when you feel that way. Or maybe you could even plan to hang out together on holidays like that so you can support one another. Anyway, I hope you find something that works for you!

Sharshar_
on 11/28/14 10:35 am - Hilton head island, SC

Thanks, all for your replies. It's not that I'm focusing on food-- it's that its all in my face and I'm struggling with being a food addict. That's seriously like you guys telling an alcoholic at a bar to stop focusing on the drinks and focus on the people... Come on... It's thanksgiving... I was better off holed up in my room and directing my attention on something else... Like looking for support from you all. :)

kevstar
on 11/28/14 4:00 pm

I had some hard moments, yesterday. But I made it through Thanksgiving dinner, with my protein drink!! :-@. That being said, this is very hard... no one really talks about going from eating food to not! I had sleeve on 11/11/14. It has been an emotional roller coaster, too say the least. I have felt hungry/starving, crazy, I feel lost. Not sure how I'm supposed too feel physically, or emotionally. I feel like I'm whining.  People have reminded me I had major surgery. I was sad and angry, about not eating thanksgiving dinner. Yes I know it's about family and things we're grateful for... but REALLY it is about the food! Our society, family, and friends, everything seems so wrapped up in food.  So I try to recognize that I'm grieving the loss of my friend, my companion, my obsession, my identity, in a way! I believe it will get better and that I'll feel awesome and grateful, but right now it's hard. And I think it's important to acknowledge that! Wow, sorry about ranting, just in the few posts I've read if seemed ok to say. Hang I'm there and keep talking about it! Obviously we are not alone :-)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views