Buyer's Remorse - Is it Pain Related??

Beth Of Fletchair
on 12/7/14 1:19 am
with

I am the same with getting a vein.  I had to actually comfort the poor nurse who tried to put mine in several times and they had to find someone else to finally accompli****  But that's just a needle.  It's over in a few minutes.

The good news is, that since I have lost 65 lbs, it's much easier to get a vein for blood tests.  Last week I expected the usual mess and...bam!...she got it the first time!

weeziebeth
on 12/6/14 10:00 am

As someone who is in the midst of it right now (surgery was Tuesday), I can say it hasn't been too bad. The only time I really hurt was waking up Thursday morning and, shortly after taking pain meds, felt great the rest of the day. The gas pains have been challenging-sharp and intense but brief and fleeting. Buyer's remorse? Well, I wouldn't mind chewing something with texture but all in all, so far so good, no regrets at this time!

HW 285 SW 248 CW 218  Surgery date: 12/2/14                 "Life itself is the proper binge." Julia Child      

"Never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.''  Winston Churchill

Amy M.
on 12/6/14 1:49 pm - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

I am probably the biggest baby when it comes to managing my pain, so for me, it was pretty painful.  But I did not experience any buyers remorse due to surgery pain.  I took my pain meds diligently and walking helped.  The gas pain was worse than the pain from the actual surgery.  The first few weeks after the surgery  there is a pulling feeling in your stomach until you heal.  It's more of a weird and awkward feeling than painful.  The only time I had the slightest hint of buyer's remorse was at 2 weeks out when I had horrible constipation and gas pains.  That in addition to my hormones being out of whack caused me to have brief regret.  But now, at 4 months out when I look back I don't regret a thing.  

Just remember that recovery is temporary and once you get through it you will realize that it was the best decision you ever made for yourself.  I think it's a good idea to ask for the anti anxiety meds and just make sure to take your anti nausea, gas-x, and pain meds when you get home.  You'll spend most of recovery sleeping anyway! 

GooseGirl
on 12/7/14 2:27 am
VSG on 10/30/14 with

My perception is that most people who have significant buyers remorse were possibly not as educated or aware of everything that could possibly occur post surgery. Although Gwen makes a really good point about there being a ton of mental stuff that comes up too so that could lead to some as well. I am only 5 1/2 weeks out and have not had the easiest recovery. However, I knew all of these things could possibly happen so I haven't had any buyers remorse. I'm just one of the not so lucky folks to have experienced some more challenges. In spite of the challenges I have still lost weight and I would rather take a few weeks or a couple months of struggles for the rest of my life to be improved. To me that trade off is a no brainer :)

Bashnic
on 12/8/14 10:22 am

I am one week post-op.  Yes, I did have buyers remorse a day or three after surgery, largely because when you don't feel good everything looks bigger. I had some complications with Anesthesia during the procedure.  My anesthesiologist  was used to overly obese people with the surgery.  I am overweight but not the typical overweight body type.  She used her typical size intubation tube which was large.  Since my airways were small, it damaged (causing massive swelling) my throat.  It took me about 5 days to get back on my feet from that.     The actual surgical pain was minimal and managed very well by pain meds.   I was actually off the pain meds by day 3.      Again I think it is normal to have some doubts after such a big, life changing surgery.   

My saying is I am better today than yesterday and not as good as I will be tomorrow.    

Good luck - trust in your doctor and the education you have been given.  I wish you well. 

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 12/8/14 10:55 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

In my case, it was the realization that I had permanently altered my anatomy and there was no going back.  Although you accept this intellectually prior to surgery, sitting in a hospital bed afterwards is now your reality. 

It was not related to pain.  Mine was minimal and no complications.  Just faced with the fact that your life will never be the same.  BUT IN A GOOD WAY 

The second guessing didn't last long.  Having a VSG was the best decision I've had.  I almost a year out and can't believe the difference in how I feel.  Life is beeyooouteefull!

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Grim_Traveller
on 12/8/14 11:07 am
RNY on 08/21/12

As you can see, there are lots of different reasons for buyer's remorse. And part of it is because, for the first days, weeks, or month, you have all the negatives, and have not yet had any of the successes. Once the weight really starts coming off, people notice, you buy new clothes, fit into seats, walk better, etc, and the buyer's remorse disappears.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 89 views