Pulmonology Problem

Judi47
on 12/10/14 9:37 am - Boston, MA

Hi, I had my last required appt. today with a pulmonologist and she cannot approve my surgery until I have a chest xray and breathing tests.  Has anyone else had any problems like this?  I was so excited it was my last appointment but now this.  What is the next step after I get cleared (hopefully?)

sechax0r
on 12/10/14 12:13 pm
VSG on 11/03/14

I had to have both. The PFT (breathing test) I had twice. I think it is pretty standard pre-op. The PFT is easy. Takes about 20 minutes and you breath into a tube while wearing a nose clip. 

The chest X-ray is even easier. About 30 seconds and you are done. My pulmonlogist had both in house so I was able to get it all done at once and he fav me the results afterwards. 

knolmom
on 12/10/14 12:59 pm

Please don't worry about having these uses. It is ESSENTIAL for your anesthesiologist to know the exact state of your breathing and condition of your lungs.

i am 7 days out from RNY after 4 hrs of surgery under anesthesia. I had severe breathing problems and lung capacity was compromised but my anesthesiologist was well prepared and got me through with no problems. I only breath at 51% of predicted! whatever that is! and use oxygen at night but don't have any sign of sleep apnea and my breathing was not an issue in approving the surgery once the Pulmonologist knew where I stood and passed along the info. Good luck, don't stress.

Carolyn W.
on 12/10/14 2:11 pm

I didn't have to have a breathing test, but I did need an arterial blood gas. I also needed a chest xray. Don't worry, they have to test all this stuff to make sure you are in the best possible shape for surgery. The anesthesiologist needs to know all of this. Just another test that has to be done before surgery. Don't be concerned!

As far as the next step, it depends on your insurance requirements. If you've completed everything your insurance requires, then all your info should be sent to them next and you should hear back within 3 weeks (usually MUCH faster than that, but they have 3 weeks to respond.) Good luck!! 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views