Chest pain with drinking

lo_ri_p
on 12/23/14 10:17 pm - Ocala, FL

At three weeks today.  Shouldn't I be able to tolerate drinking better by now?  It seems like the cottage cheese and cream soups go down fine but the thinner liquids hurt my chest with the smallest sip.  I can't even get an ounce with two or three tiny sips and it hurts.

Bonnie1960
on 12/23/14 10:50 pm

Im there too...sipping to big makes my chest hurt, taking my morning meds, makes my chest hurt...Im told it gets better with time...

LAPBAND Surgery in Norman, Oklahoma on 12/3/2003

Vertical Sleeve  Revision Surgery  in Amarillo, Texas on  12/1/2014   

Tracy D.
on 12/24/14 12:25 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

It was about 4-5 weeks before I noticed it getting better.  I had a big problem with taking in too much air when I swallowed liquids.  I had to actually think about breathing out my nose while I let the water/fluid into my mouth.  It made me very conscious of how much air I gulped down each time.  

It's the air that is usually hurting you, not the liquid itself.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

lo_ri_p
on 12/24/14 1:28 am - Ocala, FL

Thank you I will try to be conscious of that.  I really never thought of that making such a difference but it makes sense.  Thanks again.

Alice9248
on 12/25/14 1:20 am

I'm only about 10 days out, so you probably have already tried this....for me, warm liquids work best.  Room temp or cold absolutely kill me.  My hubby thinks it's because gas dissolves better in cold so there are more gas bubbles in a cold drink than a warm one. Sounds like a reasonable explanation to me....anyway, if you haven't done so, try some nice warm herbal tea. I can easily get down my 64oz if I drink it as warm herbal tea, but give me a frosty glass of water and I'll nurse it for hours.

lo_ri_p
on 12/25/14 4:09 am - Ocala, FL

I have noticed hot liquid are a little easier.  I have tried drinking broth and tea and they go down ok ****il they cool down)  but plain water is the worst. Even with crystal lite. Even iced tea is easier but can only tolerate so much artificial sweetener.  thanks for the advice though.  I am sure it will get better.

Tenacious88
on 12/25/14 6:17 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 02/05/14

Hi: I had it too, it's normal for the first few weeks, but it will get better soon, just sip small amounts at a time.

Lou 88

"We as Losers need to have Bull Dog Tenacity to win the war against obesity"                  

lo_ri_p
on 12/25/14 8:53 am - Ocala, FL

Thanks for the encouragement.  Happy Holidays.

Lori

Most Active