People who have reached goal ("normal" BMI), what was the key to your success?

Nmmsg
on 12/29/14 8:19 pm
VSG on 07/09/13

You can absolutely reach your goal.  Protein first always and make sure you are hydrated.  I weigh daily to keep me on track and have a 5 lb window.  Do not lie to yourself about that.  I chose a healthy weight fron my early 30's .  I am 65 now and healthier than I have been in years.  You lose weight by watching your food.  Exercise is the bonus that makes you feel better and stronger.  You will build good habits - you just need to keep them.

Best wishes.

Nancy

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

Laura in Texas
on 12/29/14 9:46 pm

Love yourself. Weight loss and maintenance is hard work. I have to believe I am worth the effort. I believe when we truly love ourselves we make good choices. This is what helped me get to goal and stay here.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

TeashaLorna
on 12/29/14 11:12 pm - Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada

I know this is not my chain; but I just have to say, YOU GUYS ROCK!!! Thank you for sharing what keeps you in line. I love the successes we are all having and am so thankful for each and everyone on this board. Everyone has absolutely valid points and great advice. Lorna

Dr Ponce de Leon Mexico     VSG 4 Jun 12. I lost 57 lbs on my own before having a VSG. This is by far the best thing I have ever done for myself.

Ashley in Belgium
on 12/29/14 11:25 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

What Laura said. Believe in your self, what you can do and follow your plan. Be truthful and weigh yourself so you are accountable. Be positive and know you are worth the effort. 

You got this!

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

ReclaimingPaula
on 12/30/14 3:49 am
VSG on 01/28/14

I can't add anything that anyone else has not already said, but I'll confirm that the biggest source of my solution was to focus on getting my protein FIRST and liquids - that was the most important recommendation my surgeon's office made, and I have tried to follow everything they recommend.  As long as I do that, I seem to stay on track.  I have been logging virtually every morsel I've put in my mouth for over a year now, and I don't plan to stop that, even as I am entering into maintenance myself.

I worried that I could not do this and felt discouraged, and yet I have exceeded what I had hoped for.  If I can do it, ANYONE can.

Surgery 01/28/2014. HW: 310. Consult 290, Surgery 270.  CW = 150   

diane S.
on 12/30/14 3:57 am

well, stop comparing yourself to the generalized statistics and focus on the habits that insure success.  Get that protein in. 70 or more g's.  Keep the carbs low and get them from veggies and dairy and not grains. weigh often and track your food and calories. exersise even if its just a regular walk.  read my blog page for a success story. I was a slow loser and my surgeon warned me i might end up at 156 or 160.   after 5 years i am at 123 lbs.

you are right to study success stories and not things that are negative.  All the best.   stick with OH every day.  diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 279 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 332 views