Vets, Please Tell Your Stall Stories

November18
on 1/10/15 4:28 am
VSG on 11/18/14

Hi, All. In my 2nd stall at 2 months out. I'm not freaking out, because I have read enough to know it happens. I am just a "little" obsessed. I love to hear everyone's stories of when their stalls happened, how long they lasted, and what they did to try to break them. Somehow hearing the trials and tribulations of others makes it easier to get through.

Bonnie

lo_ri_p
on 1/10/15 8:41 am - Ocala, FL

I agree.  It would definitely help me too.  I am almost 6 weeks.  I haven't weighed myself for days for fear that the scale has not moved.  This stall has lasted too long.

November18
on 1/10/15 9:59 pm
VSG on 11/18/14

Hi, when was your surgery? Mine was November 18. How long have you been stalled? I lost 26 total (pre-op & post-op) Stalled December 4th. Then finally dropped 4 more lbs. during Christmas week. I've been the same ever since!!  Hopefully soon! Good luck to you!

Bonnie

Grim_Traveller
on 1/10/15 8:53 am
RNY on 08/21/12

There is nothing you can do to make a stall end. Many will swear they had some trick that will break a stall. By definition, a stall has a beginning and an end, and it would have ended without the "trick." 

The only thing you can do is stick religiously to your plan. Drink enough, eat protein first, keep active. Sometimes people stall because their portions creep up. If you always weigh and track your food, that kind of stall can't happen.

Some people lose in stair step fashion. Some have only a couple of stalls along the way. Some never stall. Stick to your plan, and it will work for you.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

November18
on 1/10/15 9:53 pm
VSG on 11/18/14

Thanks for the encouragement. Wow, you lost almost 300 lbs? That is amazing! Congratulations!!

Bonnie

Kostas K
on 1/10/15 10:52 am - CA
VSG on 01/09/12

Stalls suck - especially when you are trying so hard. It has happened to all of us and when you are in it, it is so frustrating. Frustration and panic are natural feelings and good motivators to keep going (the darn body is telling us how little it needs to maintain its weight). The scale will move - again as long as you stick to your diet. I think it is wise for surgeons to tell patients that stalls are part of the process (mine does) and that if you stick to the plan, the scale will move again. Keep going. keep weighing yourself, keep to the plan and you will succeed. 

November18
on 1/10/15 9:50 pm
VSG on 11/18/14

Thanks. Your words are right on target. Frustration and panic. Frustration because you are being so good and then the panic that you are going to be that one person with the metabolism of a snail that is not going to lose!!! Thanks again for responding.

Bonnie

happytoloose
on 1/10/15 11:14 am

I have had 5 stalls in less than 3months.

I loose for 3 or 4 days, then stand still for 3 days, or a week.

No sweat any more.

The big losses seem to follow a stall, 3 or even 4 lb a day. Just crazy.

I look at THE DAILY average since the start of thing. I don't think I Wanna loose any more than a pound a day. On average.

Those averages change fast when the weight comes off.

Use stalls to tank up on water, and protein.

When your body catches up, it'll freak you out.

The first time I saw 4 lb in a day, I was shocked. 3more days of 3lb loss followed that.

Then just stop. No gains, no real dietary changes, same activity level.

It'll break, don't sweat it.

Rod

November18
on 1/10/15 9:46 pm
VSG on 11/18/14

Thanks for your response. It is helpful to hear how different everyone is. I'll hang in there! Would love a 3 or 4 lb drop in one day!! I stalled December 4th. Dropped 4 lbs Christmas week, but have been the same since then. Hopefully soon!! Thanks again.

Bonnie

mattman
on 1/10/15 6:13 pm - Chifley, Australia

Hang in there..!

Promise you in 18 months you will sit back and laugh about being worried.  Completely normally to have long pauses, just focus on doing the right thing, plenty of water and keep and eye on eating the right things.

You can do it

Matt

Lost 100 pounds and in onederland in under 6 months....!   I love my VSG...!

Most Active