Wanted DS, doc says VSG

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/20/15 10:04 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Your past experience is your past dieting attempts, whether you lost weight by just restricting your calories alone, or if no matter how much you restricted how much you ate, you never lost any weight. If not, you might be metabolically compromised & you might need the extra help, but since you said that you lost weight by going low carb & high protein then maybe you don't need to go the ds route & vsg might be enough. It sounds like the carbs has derailed your weight loss, more so than the restricting your calories. It's the comparison of these things that can help you make your decision. Of course you won't have experience of having most of your stomach removed, that's not what I meant.

You should post your question on the ds board since they can give you more of their experiences with the ds lifestyle.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Tauret
on 1/20/15 10:23 am

Sorry, that comment about not having had my stomach removed before was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek. :) I just wasn't really sure what pre-surgery experiences would help determine whether restriction would be sufficient. I really appreciate your insight! 

5'9 HW 275 (BMI 40.6) SW (5/19/15) 253 CW 235 (BMI 34.8)

Week 1  (-9) Week 2 (-6) Week 3 (-3) Week 4 (-2) 

GW 140

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/20/15 10:28 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Oops, Ok, I wish they had a tongue in cheek emoticon, cuz my eyes totally missed the smiley face you had in your previous post! LOL, my eyes not as good as they used to be, just didn't want you to feel to go with a surgery that your surgeon wants, rather than what you want.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Jen-2
on 1/20/15 11:04 am
DS on 02/02/15

Who is your surgeon? 

Tauret
on 1/20/15 7:57 pm

Dr. Prachand at U of C. 

GW 140

frisco
on 1/20/15 12:16 pm

By reading these forums you would get the impression that the VSG is a VSG.....

The truth is that it is not a standardized procedure and all sleeves are not created equal.

That 65% EWL average you mention I think is even a bit high.

Many many programs now days actually shoot for that number and deem it as success. If those numbers are inline with your goals, than that's a great match!

Individual surgeon/program statistics should be more accurate when digesting information and choosing a WL surgeon.

A good VSG surgeon is not setting you and your sleeve up for the first year, he/she is setting you up for years 3-5 and beyond.

I picked my VSG surgeon based on his individual success rate and how well his patients have done longer term.

The DS is a great surgery, it is very powerful and it's statistic to resolve type2 diabetes is just magical. I've recommended the DS to several people now and all are doing fabulous! Two were diabetic and the other was 400lbs. with type2 diabetes common in his family.

The DS does hands down have the highest success rate with WL and the lowest regain.

That said, sometimes it's like shooting a fly with an elephant gun and you really need to be on top of your game with the education and your willingness to comply or you got some big problems on your hands.

**** Can someone lose 100% EW with any sleeve??? Yes, it happens just like someone can only lose 20lbs. that's where that 65% number comes from..... some more and some less.

A BMI 41 with youth and good health on your side is a sweet spot for an effective VSG.

Also you sound like you absorb information very well !!!

Something tells me your going to do just fine !

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Tauret
on 1/20/15 8:02 pm

Thanks for all of your input and encouragement. I sure hope you're right. :) 

GW 140

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 1/20/15 6:35 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

I had the same experience. BMI was 40 something and my surgeon is also a leading DS/VSG/RNY and revision expert. I wanted the DS and tried to convince him but he was pretty adamant and refused it for me. I went with his advice and have had my VSG for over 2 years now, lost all my EW and have been maintaining (fingers crossed that it continues) fairly easily so far. I know that the test is further out but so far I am doing really well with the VSG lifestyle and the future looks bright. I have to agree with Frisco's post above - and based on my own experience and the words of my surgeon. If you follow the plan, you don't have to settle for 65%. Go for the gusto! I also think you will do great.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Tauret
on 1/20/15 8:00 pm

THANK YOU so much. This similarity of experience is really what I was hoping for here (whether successful or not, just to have something "like me" to compare to) and it sounds like you're doing fabulously. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond and give your input. 

GW 140

civilmomma
on 1/20/15 10:08 pm, edited 1/20/15 10:09 pm
VSG on 03/07/14

You said you are young.  If pregnancy is part of your future...a VSG pregnancy is a lot less of a challenge (speaking from a vitamin/nutrition perspective) than a DS pregnancy.  If that is still part of your future, it is another consideration.

Also - 5'9" getting to 200 pounds is great, add in that you are young and otherwise healthy now...you can totally exceed the 65% average.  That 65% average includes the unmotivated, medically challenged, and unprepared folks as well as the go-getters who rock the sleeve.

I am 5'8", 32yo, started at 347, now in the 230s (and pregnant).  I got to my surgeon's goal in 6months...I have plenty of restriction and motivation to exceed the basic goal of being average.

I also considered DS as an option if I need it in my 40s/50s.  As a 30yo wanting more children and having young children at home already - VSG was a better option for me.  My BMI was 53 before.

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

Most Active