Quantity Post Op - Groceries

sleeve_scholar
on 3/1/15 12:25 am
VSG on 03/09/15

Greetings,

My date is upcoming on March 9th and I'm currently on my first day of my liquid diet. I will be grocery shopping this week for all my supplies for the next few weeks and I don't want to overdo it on items. So my question is how much should I purchase or what do you recommend in terms of quantity? I will be buying Premier Protein Shakes from Sams Club, but wanted to know how many of those is it reasonable to expect I can actually get it post op. As my diet progresses and I start introducing food again to consume my protein, I just don't want to overdo it on protein shakes and powders. Any advice and suggestions are welcome.

Mary Gee
on 3/1/15 12:44 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14
-- how many day pre-op and I post-op are you on liquids only? How many shakes a day on your program? .But even so, you might still need to supplement your protein after the full liquid stage so I would not worry about over buying. ...... Good luck on your upcoming surgery.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

sleeve_scholar
on 3/1/15 1:45 am
VSG on 03/09/15

Thanks for the well wishes for surgery. I'm scared, but moving forward. My pre op 7 day plan is 700-900 daily calories and 5 protein supplements daily and 64 oz. of fluids.

Mary Gee
on 3/1/15 12:54 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14
Well, I lost half of my response........ Just wanted to mention I had surgery 5/14 and I still use protein powder in my coffee and for shakes.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

lianna
on 3/1/15 1:00 am - South, TX
VSG on 03/09/15 with

My date is also the 9th!  What I have is a tub of Isopure and some clear Isopure ready-to-drink bottles.  So many of my sleeved friends have told me not to buy too much of anything, because what you like now you may not be able tolerate post surgery.  I will follow this thread too and piggyback read any advice and suggestions you get!  Good luck on your surgery, and hang tight on the liquid preop.... it is tough.

Lianna   lapband 2005, removed 2014.  VSG 3/9/15

sleeve_scholar
on 3/1/15 1:39 am
VSG on 03/09/15

Best wishes for a safe and speedy recovery for you as well. I will give Isopure a try this week.

Bufflehead
on 3/1/15 1:08 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Buy a minimal amount. Don't be like me and end up with two cases of Premier Protein shakes in your pantry a year after surgery because you bought them and liked them pre-surgery, but hated them after surgery.

Have enough on hand to get you through the first five days or so. No more! If you still like Premier Protein after surgery, the stuff isn't going anywhere and you can go back to Sam's and buy more of it.

sleeve_scholar
on 3/1/15 1:40 am
VSG on 03/09/15

That's my fear, over doing it and buying too much. I will be small amounts to get me through a week at a time. Going back to the grocery store could be a good reason to get out and walk post surgery.

GooseGirl
on 3/1/15 1:10 am
VSG on 10/30/14 with

Your tastes frequently change after surgery. A protein powder that you like now you may not be able to stand after surgery. I found that after a couple of months I could tolerate the same shakes that I could pre-surgery but initially it was rough. I am 17 weeks out and I still drink at least 1 protein shake a day. Actually now that my doctors just increased my daily protein goal I am drinking 2 protein shakes a day. 

sleeve_scholar
on 3/1/15 1:41 am
VSG on 03/09/15

Good advice, I didn't realize your taste buds change post surgery.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views