Never hungry at 11 weeks out

ErinNikki
on 2/27/15 4:01 am, edited 2/27/15 4:02 am
VSG on 12/11/14

I had surgery 11 weeks ago and I am still NEVER hungry. I am forcing myself to eat but I could literally go all day without eating anything and not feel hunger. Eating just feels like a chore. Don't get me wrong, I am so happy with my surgery and would do it over again in a heartbeat but I am wondering if/when hunger may return. I went from someone who lived to eat to someone who dreads meal times. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/27/15 4:25 am
RNY on 08/05/19

In the VSG, the part of the stomach that creates ghrelin, the hunger hormone, is pretty much removed. So many people completely lose the feeling of physical hunger for at least a while. It's produced elsewhere in the body as well, so it's not completely eliminated.

I found myself in the same situation for about six months. I often had to set a timer on my phone to remind me to eat, which was cool but kind of obnoxious. Now that I'm over a year out, though, some of the physical hunger returns; when I wake up in the morning and I didn't have a snack in the evening, my stomach is grumbly and I physically want food. It does vary quite a bit from person to person, but it's not at all unusual.

If you're not happy having to deal with food, that sounds like a partly emotional issue. It may be worth talking to a mental health professional to help work through that relationship.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Latina63
on 2/27/15 11:35 am

I'm six wks post op VSG, at the beginning food was of no interest to me and I do know that mine was a lot emotional, once everything settled down I am feeling much better with food and mind. It will get better I'm sure, sometimes it is more of a hassle eating as we can't eat very much so the taste and hunger for it is very minimal. Good luck and enjoy losing weight during this time!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/27/15 5:04 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I thought that never being hungry was a blessing when it hit me.  But I knew that I needed to get my protein and fluids in to keep my body from losing lean muscle mass.  

The hunger may return in several months.  It's hard to say.  Try to remember that food is now just fuel for your body instead of a reason to live.  This surgery is about changing your mindset and not reverting back to previous behaviors.

As Julie said, some therapy might be advisable at this point to help with your food issues.  It really can help to put things into perspective with the "new normal" you.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Amy M.
on 2/28/15 1:48 am - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

My advice is to enjoy it while it lasts.  I'm 7 months out and I still don't ever really get hungry.  I feel more of an awareness that I need to eat something to get energy but my stomach doesn't get hunger pains or growl at me to remind me to eat.  The hunger feeling will eventually return so take advantage of this time you have.  My suggestion is to plan out your meals for the day and set a time for each meal to remind yourself that you need to eat.  I loved the feeling early out of never being hungry.  It was a nice break from being hungry ALL the time.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views