CLEAR LIQUID VS LIQUID

psren13
on 3/14/15 8:29 am - NC
VSG on 03/11/15

It being the weekend, I canno get hold of my surgeon to ask this.  So here I go again.  His plan is clear liquids for 2 weeks, no jello, no strained soups, etc, just clear (juice, gatorade, etc).  Why do some allow such things as strained soup, greek yogurt, protein shakes and other strictly clear?  Does it make a big difference?  I do have the WHEY 42 gm protein liquid tube which is 3.8 oz.  Got one down today, kinda yukky.  No protein shake with my almond milk and powder :(

Gwen M.
on 3/14/15 8:36 am
VSG on 03/13/14

If that's the "New Whey" tubes, I'd rethink them.  The main ingredient, after water, is collagen which isn't digested very well.  So you're not actually getting 42 grams of protein out of the tubes.  We want something that has whey protein as the primary protein, preferably as the only protein!  

As for why different surgeons have different requirements for diet?  I assume it's because those are the requirements they've found work the best with the way they perform the surgery.  

You might try Isopure for a clear, high quality source of protein.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

mickeymantle
on 3/14/15 8:44 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

all surgeons have different plans I was on full liquid(anything that will go thru a strainer )when I went home from the hospital and all foods( starting with softer stuff) after the 2 week check up

some surgeons keep you on full liquid for months 

mine be-leaves the sooner you get real food in the sleeve the sooner it starts working like a real stomach

some surgeons make much smaller sleeves and maybe there afraid solid food will damage the suture line

I never had any problems following my plan but it is best to follow your surgeons plan

and there should be someone on call in your surgeons office 24/7

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

samanthalc
on 3/14/15 8:51 am
with

I asked this question of my surgeon.  He says some are more conservative than others (he's very conservative) because what we eat when affects the likelihood of a leak.  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 315 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views