Regrets??????

C J
on 3/15/15 10:59 am, edited 3/15/15 11:04 am - , TN

I hate to be the Debbie Downer of the board, but I went through torment with my Lap-Band, and I ignored many "negative" posts bc I wanted to ONLY see success stories.  Also, if any band supporters happen to read my post, please be kind.  I assure you, if you had my experience (no fault of my own), you would view the Lap Band as a torture device just like I do. My goal is to go into this surgery with eyes wide open.  Sorry for the long disclaimer....now for the question:  I'm just wondering if you have any regrets, and if so, what are they?  PLEASE BE BRUTALLY HONEST!!!!! I truly feel the sleeve is for me, but I don't want to leave a single stone unturned.

Thanks

Living > Existing

256/231/135

GoBlueGirl1998
on 3/15/15 11:26 am - MI

I regret not doing this 5 years ago! I will be 40 this year and I feel better than I did at 21 years of age!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

Amy M.
on 3/15/15 12:24 pm - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

I have no regrets whatsoever.  This was the best decision I've ever made for myself!

Sasny
on 3/15/15 1:05 pm
VSG on 03/20/12

I'll be three years out this week.  No regrets at all. Wish I did it earlier.  Good luck with your decision.

stephanie

shorty85
on 3/15/15 1:52 pm

Change your thought process.... Think of it this way.....It's NOT about what HAS happened.....its about what WILL happen...and what you will gain! Energy, Better Health, more self esteem, and true sense of peace, a new chance of living the life you really want free from physical and size limitation. Never asking for an extender on a plane. never worried about sitting in a theater and IF you'll fit in the seat, the feeling of accomplishment when you use this TOOL and take charge of your life. I am only 12 days out...but have truly pondered wished and dreamt of that day for 10....let me say that again...10 YEARS! Wasted time indeed.... Are there some crummy things?....Sure...But look again at those cons I just mentioned....If Im betting I bet you agree.... Be Brave ....have courage and invest this time in YOU....It'll pay off! at least thats what Im banking on! Good luck!

NatWaddyDoDaDay
on 3/15/15 3:33 pm

Not even one regret here! Wait...I regret not doing it sooner!

Starlene02
on 3/15/15 4:03 pm
VSG on 11/11/15

I haven't had my surgery yet. I'm about half way through my process of getting my surgery date. I've read several blogs like this one wondering the same thing. I have read where people say "What have I done!" when they are fresh out of surgery. The responses were usually along the lines of people saying most feel that way at first because recovery is slow for most and you'll feel like you've been hit by a train. I've seen some have more energy than ever just a few days out so everyone is different. I've seen some you tube videos of people saying it didn't work but I honestly feel like they thought it was a miracle cure. Obviously if you don't follow your doctor and nutritionists advice and continue all of your bad habits, this won't be a huge success. Despite these very minor things I've heard people say, I've heard exceptionally more testify to this being the best decision of their life. I've never been so sure that something was the best choice for me. I'd rather have the FULL truth as well.

If you feel like quitting, think of why you started.

mickeymantle
on 3/15/15 4:05 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

biggest regret not doing this 10 years ago ., I got my life back

it takes time to get used to to eating on plan but im almost never hungry and a few bites fill me

failed band is the norm there only good for 5 years at the most and most people have them removed much sooner because of problem but a few people do great with them , my surgeon lost 80 lb with a band but he can get it adjusted anytime he wants

the sleeve is a totally diffrent thing and only a small percentage of people have any problems with it if you have a good surgeon and follow there plan you should lose at least 65 % of your extra weight and if you keep at it 100 % is very common

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

molfish62
on 3/15/15 6:37 pm
VSG on 03/07/15

I'm newly sleeved. This first week was rough, but I think a lot of that had to do with travel (surgery was in Mexico) and my antidepressant not being well absorbed. Saturday was the first day I could have puréed foods and I felt the best I've felt since surgery. Today I felt very well, but slept a ton. Through this I have repeatedly hoped this was the right decision & will be worth this rough period (however long it lasts), but never thought that I shouldn't have done it. I do wish I'd done it sooner & that I hadn't gotten to the place where I needed this. 

Molly

VSG on 3/7/15. 

Add me on myfitnesspal: molfish6 

spuddzy
on 3/16/15 12:08 am - NY

I'm so happy with my VSG. had my band for 4 yrs. only had a few fills..always ha problems eating dense healty foods...when it slipped last year and was offered the remover and have sleeve. I at first was scared a little but went through all of the standard procedures for insurance and had it done Dec. I have no regrets and have no problems at all..lost 40 lbs and can eat all foods without a problem...unlike the band..I am relieved not to have the fear of running to bathroom after a bite or two of foods...I agree with your description of the torture device..go for sleeve and enjoy living your life again with real food....

spuddzy

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 316 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views