Old habits showing their ugly face!

Loser2014
on 3/17/15 12:03 am

After 9 months of excellent control and over 100 lbs. loss, I have been at goal (below 160 lb) for almost one month.  I am afraid I am slipping!    Been eating a lot more than I should for the past couple of days and been eating sugary things.  I am so scared!  I am asking for help and support before 2 days become 2 weeks, 2 months, 2 more pounds and then 20 more pounds.  YIKES! 

Going to write down all the sugary stuff I ate since getting up early this morning.  I feel sick and nauseous!  UGH!

TruemansMom
on 3/17/15 12:15 am
VSG on 06/24/13

Why not write down everything, not just the sugary stuff? You may find more than one item that you need to address. I have personally seen almost all carb heavy food is easy to eat, doesn't make me sick and does not result in weight loss. It really helps me to eat the heavy protein first. enough to get my full signal, then any carb that go on top are few and far between.

good luck! work that tool.

Jan D.  5'-8", highest wt 231, surgery wt 213

Tracy D.
on 3/17/15 12:53 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

The bad news is that you've lost your focus and motivation because you're at "goal" and seemingly bullet-proof right now.  Meaning you can eat crap and the scale doesn't jump up.   The good news is that you recognize this is a problem that will eventually put you right back into obesity and illness.  

Eating more and eating sugary things go hand-in-hand because extra carbs gives you cravings and can make you physically hungrier.  You're going to have to do a carb detox.  I'm not talking about going back to all shakes.  

First things first, get ALL the crap out of your house.  I don't care that it's almost Easter or that your family "deserves" to have treats.  We are talking your life and health here.  Get the **** out of your house today!

Go back to protein forward meals with the only extra food being a little dark green/yellow/orange low-carb veggies.  Nothing else.  If you feel hungry in between meals curb it with some avocado, almonds, string cheese, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, jerky...you get the idea.  No rice, no pasta, no crackers, no bread, no popcorn...not one little bite.    

I promise after about 3-4 days you will feel the carb-fog lift and you'll be feeling MUCH more in control.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Gwen M.
on 3/17/15 12:58 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Here are my basics that I strive to stick to.  

1. Prioritize protein and water
2. Deprioritize carbs, especially the refined and processed ones
3. Make the most of healthy fats
4. Eat three meals a day with no snacks
5. Avoid liquid calories (breakfast protein shake is the exception)
6. Weigh portions
7. Eat mindfully and with no distractions aside from real live people
8. Move as much as possible
9. Weigh myself daily
10. Be kind to myself

I'm currently up 4 pounds from my lowest post-op weight due to bad habits while in PA helping my parents out.  So I'm posting this to remind myself of my basics too!  My dad eats ALL THE FREAKING TIME and it is so challenging for me.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

wyo_sarah
on 3/17/15 12:58 am

I know how you feel.  I've started eating more sugary stuff too.  But, I think I look at it with a different perspective than you do.  It works for me, at least.  I know that I won't be happy with the idea that I can't ever indulge in sweets ever again.  So, instead of trying to eliminate them all together, I just eat in moderation.  The other day I made some brownies for my family and I made little shamrock treats with pretzels, rolos and M&Ms for my kids to take to school.  I prefer brownies, so I ate a small bite of that and didn't eat a shamrock.  I just try to make informed choices and when I do eat sweets I only eat really awesome ones and those in moderation.  Saturday night I went out to eat with a friend and we got two pieces of pie to go and then shared them with my husband.  I ate two bites of each.  That is how I approach sweets and it has been working for me.  I'm 7 months post op, have reached my original goal of 160, and am still losing to reach my revised goal of 150.  I have 6 pounds to go, I've lost 104 so far.

momsy55
on 3/17/15 1:07 am - ME

I totally agree with the other posters.  I have found that maintenance has been so much harder than the losing phase.  During the losing phase, it was pretty clear cut what to and not to eat.  Trying to find the balance in maintenance was a bit daunting at first.  I did ok for several months, but I was getting complacent, and slowly stopped using my tools.  Over the next few months, I gained someweight back.  Thankfully, for me, I still stayed away from certain foods, as I knew they would be the death of me, though at Christmas, I found myself dipping my toes in the water so to speak, and could feel the old habits bubbling up, so I slammed the door shut!   I am, once again, in the losing phase, but it has been more difficult this time around.  What I have learned is, that even when I get back to maintenance, I will need to eat basically the same way as I do now, just adding in a few more calories, a little at a time, until I find the balance.  Refined carbs are a slippery slope for me.  I can eat those foods, for awhile, in small portions and do ok, but eventually, the cravings increase and I'm back at square one.  I admire the fact that you are crying "uncle" at only a couple of days.  I will be rooting for you!

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

Stacy_WLS
on 3/17/15 1:29 am

i completely agree -- my diet in maintenance is very similar to my diet while losing.  I eat some higher calorie things (more nuts etc.) but pretty much it is the same.  

Sugar is rough and it will be a lifelong struggle for me.  blah!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

momsy55
on 3/17/15 2:59 am - ME

While I can, and did easily gain weight with other refined carbs, sugar has always been my nemisis.  I choose to stay away from sugar, or it will be the end of me, period.

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

Loser2014
on 3/18/15 12:57 am

Thank you all for great suggestions, reminders and a few firm kicks in the butt.  :D Much needed! I am so glad to be a part of this wonderful support group! 

Combining all the suggestions and applying my logical Project Manager mind to it, I jotted down the sequence of events that led to this sudden onset of insanity.  I just came back from, staying away from home for 4 weeks, 2 big family weddings and said no to almost ALL the food while I was there.  I am proud of that!  Being human, I think I had said "No" enough times in the last few weeks.  My brain was rebelling!  A few weeks outside my environment with EVERYONE pushing rich, yummy food at me was not easy!  And I could not get my exercise. Exercise and the resulting soreness keeps me motivated and happy. 

Slipping into old habits is easy when the guard is down.  I guess I was tired of saying NO! 

So, last evening, I gave myself this pep talk in front of the mirror (felt a little silly but how cares?)

Pep talk begin:

In the last week, I started to slip a little.  Started testing the waters.   NOT GOOD!!  I over-indulge, weigh myself daily and find out that I had not gained.  So, what do I do?  Keep repeating the behavior thinking I am invincible!

Until the weight gain actually occurs?  Who am I kidding?  I know it will come and come quickly, without the warning.  The habits will be back before I can say “habit”.  

I cannot go back to thinking that I can fix it without taking drastic action!  I WILL NOT be able to just stop eating!!  When has that ever worked in the past?  Create a plan.  Revise it!

Pep talk end.

So, I created a plan. 

Organized the house.  Threw away the snacks.  Passed a hard test: A boy from the neighborhood brought a cheesecake my husband had ordered from him while I was out.  I threw it in the back of the freezer right away!

I went to the gym this morning.  I tried on my size 6 clothes and let myself feel the wonderful feeling.  I drank 120 oz of water and am chugging away today!  I looked at my before and after pictures and I tried to remember all the wonderful compliments and attention I got at the weddings! 

Here is what I learnt from this small slip up:

- I will not be cured!  I am an addict and always need to have a plan. 

- Desperate times call for desperate measures!  Get help quickly!  Do not think you can do it by having the same thinking that you had before the surgery.  Your tummy was cut, not your brain!  It stills thinks the same way!

- I did not have this big surgery to fail.  I will adjust my habits and create as many plans I have to and be successful! 

For those here that posted about going through the same thing, create a list of things you can make better today and then act on it.  DON'T WAIT!

Thank you all!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views