Breaking up with my surgeon

Superchunk77
on 3/26/15 11:54 pm

So I am a little over 3 months out from my VSG.  While I feel my surgeon did a great job at performing my surgery, I also think he is a complete as****e.  At this point I see no benefit going back to him. I am sticking to the plan, I am healed.  What more do I need from this guy.  He has not set any goals for me, mostly I just go in and get weighed and annoyed by his snide commentary like it is a peeing match between us about who is smarter because he knows my background. Thus far I just let it slide and try to stay focused on the topic at hand, but I swear the last time I really just wanted to tell him that I appreciate that he went to med school and I would have too but I would have had to dumb it down. After the healing process is done, I see no point. I am done with this guy. There seems to be nothing physically or emotionally beneficial to continuing a medical relationship with him and his ego. The only thing I need him to do is write my script for the pepcid but honestly I can just get my pcp to do that. Done. done. done. Thank you for listening. Rant over.

Valerie G.
on 3/27/15 12:11 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Get a list of labs they would want to run the first year.  Your PCP can coordinate that as well. 

I broke up with my surgeon after a year or so.  I was going out of my way to the next city just for bloodwork I could get locally.  I got a hug from the doc, lots of smiles, but no real value to compensate for the time I took to go there.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Superchunk77
on 3/27/15 12:42 am

Here's the thing.  He does not run any labs one me, at least not as of yet.  I asked my PCP to run some baseline blood work last week and I can do my own urinalysis if I need to. I just needed to rant.  I really thought he would be more involved with my aftercare with labs and goals but mostly he has just been a snide PITA.

zann50
on 3/27/15 1:16 am

Most surgeons, including mine...believe their part of the job is completed in the OR.  Unfortunately, it is true for most.  Aftercare comes in the form of support groups, dietitians, nurses, PAs and such.

Actually, I am okay with that.  The physicians do not really know the details of nutrition post-op.  If your PCP and or surgeon staff is competent on bariatric needs...do you really need to see/pay for a surgeon visit?  I just want to know they are available should I need any future surgical intervention.

Your "rant" was probably out of frustration  Good luck!  The VETS on this site can provide much to new folks.

Zann

VGS- 2015

KayDeeCee
on 3/27/15 1:19 am
VSG on 01/26/15

I have to say I get more aftercare help from my Nutritionist than my Surgeon. My Surgeon is pleasant but not that helpful. She is always in a hurry. I do think that some Surgeon's are more interested in the cutting, that is doing the surgery, than everything else concerned with the WLS.

5'7" HW 256 (1/6/2014) SW 236.2 (VSG: 1/26/2015) CW 165.5 (01/10/2016) Total Weight Lost 90.5
Pre-Op: -19.8; Month 1: -19; Month 2: -12.7; Month 3: -9.9; Month 4: -7.2; Month 5: -6.4; Month 6: -2.8; Month 7: -3.7; Month 8: -4.2; Month 9: -0.6; Month 10: -2.1; Month 11: -0 Month 12: -2.1

GOALS: BMI Normal = 159 (6.5 to go); 100 LBs Lost = 156 (9.5 to go); FINAL GOAL: 139?? (26.5 to go)

mmsmom
on 3/27/15 1:40 am - Woburn, MA

I can't imagine not having/seeing my surgeon.  I guess I am lucky.  He is comprehensive, thorough and totally caring as well as having a great support team of nutritionist, therapist, physician assistant and secretary.  I personally would want someone with that specialized background, not my pcp to be monitoring my well being.  I would look for a new bariatric surgeon, but that's just my opinion.

VSG on 04/28/2014

GoBlueGirl1998
on 3/27/15 2:11 am - MI

I'm 5 months out and just saw my surgeon yesterday. He told me he doesn't need to see me again and told me I was doing great. I hugged him and thanked him for changing my life. With that being said I still have to continue with the Weight Loss Center for two 18 months post op! As others have stated make sure your primary doctor runs your labs & fill the scripts you may need!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

Lisa167
on 3/27/15 3:03 am
VSG on 08/14/14

My surgeon has a team.  I haven't seen him since I was in the hospital and won't see him until I'm a year out.  My team however, I see at intervals (3 mos/6 mos/12 mos) plus support groups, and find them invaluable.

I agree that you should just get a list of what you need checked and go from there if that's the only support you'd bet getting otherwise.  Just make sure you have someone to call in case of an emergency if it's an issue related to WLS.  I wouldn't want to burn any bridges if I may need him in the future.

mickeymantle
on 3/27/15 4:54 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

my pcp does most of the work but I see my surgeon every six months for the first 2 years then once a year for a few more years

my pcp does the labs and if he has a question he calls my surgeon or nut

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Grim_Traveller
on 3/27/15 10:21 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I wouldn't burn any bridges, but unless you have a surgical issue, you don't need a surgeon. What you'll probably need most going forward is a PCP willing to run all the labs you'll need.

You MAY have more of a need for your surgeon than I will require an OBGYN, but not by much.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views