Listen to Your Body Regarding Triggers

ocean4dlm
on 3/27/15 8:00 pm - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

I have met all of my requirements and meet with the surgeon April 8. I am hoping for a date in mid May after one daughter's graduation and the other's dissertation defense. I have lost 29 pounds on my pre-surgery diet, and am within eight pounds of slipping below a BMI of 40. If my weight is below that, insurance will deny surgery.  That has provided me with the opportunity to "practice" maintenance... something I have never been successful with.

My diet since January has been protein, vegetables, minimal crabs and fruit. I've been totally off simple sugars. As part of adding calories back in to maintain, I decided to try an iced coffee protein powder I had been reading so much about on the forums. I added in, prior to lap swimming early mornings. At the same time, I started to feel like I was starving mid-afternoon.... totally craving crunchy carbs. I went on like this for week.. adding a crunchy power bar afternoon snack, which only made me crave crabs more.

Turns out that simple iced coffee powder addition to my diet was a major trigger. I read about the product on these forums ,and assumed it was good for me.  I will now try to be more attuned to foods I add back in to my diet, and how my body reacts.

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

(deactivated member)
on 3/28/15 12:31 am

Good to know. I felt my first trigger last night. I ate a decent meal but was lacking in protein. A few hours later I felt hungry, but it was late at night so I splurged on some tootsy rolls to see if I was really hungry or just craving sugar. Sure enough I felt full after eating the sugar. So frustrating.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 66 views