Parents? How did you adjust to not being able to pick up your child? Infant/toddler

i8it77
on 4/11/15 2:20 pm
VSG on 04/21/15

My husband is taking time off of work to help me with my son who is 14 months. He "runs" away during diaper change time so this can be an issue. How did you handle your infant/toddler during this time? I don't want to cause a leak.

cspotrun
on 4/12/15 2:20 am
RNY on 07/01/14

You may have to pull out all the stops during the 4-6 weeks while you aren't allowed to lift him.  Give him his favorite treat, or an iPhone to watch a video for 2 minutes, or whatever will keep him still and then go quickly LOL!  They also have those diapers you can change while standing up for toddlers, but only for wet diapers.  Maybe once your hubby is back at work he can change him right before he leaves and right when he gets home to minimize how many times you have to do this.  Good luck!  

Karen   

Sully15
on 4/12/15 7:46 am
VSG on 05/21/15

I'm worried about this too.  I have a 21 month old.  I feel bad my husband is going to have to do most things.  You don't realize how much you have to lift them until you stop and think about it.  In and out of crib, high chair, car seat.  Not to mention just wanting to be held.  

hollykim
on 4/12/15 9:07 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 11, 2015 at 9:20 PM Pacific Time, i8it77 wrote:

My husband is taking time off of work to help me with my son who is 14 months. He "runs" away during diaper change time so this can be an issue. How did you handle your infant/toddler during this time? I don't want to cause a leak.

mine used to get a spanking when they "ran" away at diaper time. I wasn't going to be chasing them all over the house....a little discipline works wonders.

i8it77
on 4/12/15 8:52 pm
VSG on 04/21/15

will he understand a spanking at 14 months?

hollykim
on 4/13/15 12:37 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 13, 2015 at 3:52 AM Pacific Time, i8it77 wrote:

mine did. It is a game to them but not everything in life can be a game. There are times when we have to be still and get the job done,and if WE don't teach our children that early in life,they may always have trouble with that concept.

plus,why make life harder for yourself than it has to be? Trust me, if he thinks it's fun to "run" away at diaper time,it will escalate into running away ALL the time,cause it is fun. There are times when Running" away can be the death of a child,if you can't control them. If you can't control him at 14 months,you don't have a prayer of controlling him at 14 years. 

i8it77
on 4/13/15 11:27 am
VSG on 04/21/15

That makes sense! Thanks!

hollykim
on 4/13/15 12:37 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 13, 2015 at 3:52 AM Pacific Time, i8it77 wrote:

mine did. It is a game to them but not everything in life can be a game. There are times when we have to be still and get the job done,and if WE don't teach our children that early in life,they may always have trouble with that concept.

plus,why make life harder for yourself than it has to be? Trust me, if he thinks it's fun to "run" away at diaper time,it will escalate into running away ALL the time,cause it is fun. There are times when Running" away can be the death of a child,if you can't control them. If you can't control him at 14 months,you don't have a prayer of controlling him at 14 years. 

civilmomma
on 4/13/15 1:32 am
VSG on 03/07/14

I did not have a lifting restriction.  My kids were 3.5 and almost 2 (both near 40 pounds at the time).  I changed the little dude on a bed he could climb to or on the floor.

I made them come to me for snuggles on the couch.

What is your lift restriction?  Are you sure you have one?

You can't hurt your actual stomach by lifting...it is not involved in the muscles required to lift.  If you have the arthroscopic incisions - you need to be careful and not overdo it...but again...with the small holes, you aren't disturbing too much ab muscle, so the risks of hurting yourself doing your normal daily routine are pretty low (as explained to my by my surgeon).

If you are having hernia repair or an open surgery, then the rules are different.

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 300 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 347 views