1 week post op

allyson621
on 4/24/15 4:18 am
VSG on 04/16/15

Hi everyone. I'm new to the group and just had surgery 4/16/15. I just have some questions. How much weight do people usually lose weekly? I weighed yesterday for the first time since surgery and I've lost 8 pounds. Does that seem like a good average? I have also been having trouble getting my protein in. My doctor wants me to have 60 grams daily but when I drink my liquid protein I feel bloated and fill up fast so I bought some unflavored whey protein to add to my water and broth. Has anyone else tried that?

Gwen M.
on 4/24/15 5:26 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Weight loss is really individual and comparing yourself to other people is the best way to set yourself up for disappointment.  Just know that you'll reach your goal if you stick to your plan.  It might take 5 years, or 5 months, but you'll get there.  

If you're mixing your protein powder with milk, try using something like almond milk.  It might sit better in your stomach.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

anracyr
on 4/24/15 7:43 am

Hi Allyson621,

I had VSG surgery the day after you did (4/17/15).  I have lost 11 lbs in a week. I had difficulty drinking all of the protein and have now focused on small amounts frequently throughout the day and it seems to be helping.  For example in the morning, I make a 4 oz protein shake with chocolate unjury, skim milk and an ice cube, mix it up in my Ninja.  I sip on it slowly and keep it covered in the fridge.  If I need to remix I just put it back on my Ninja for a spin.  I think I was initially trying to drink too much, too quickly. I make variations of shakes throughout the day so  I am frequently sipping (usually sip on 4-4oz shakes per day). When I total my protein I am getting 50-60 grams. My surgeon told me to focus on fluids, fluids, fluids this first week to avoid dehydration and 50-60 grams was fine right now. The other thing that I enjoy are the Yoplait Greek Light & Fit Whip yogurts.  I usually eat one of those per day. Hope this helps and best of luck to you!

Jamie L.
on 4/24/15 9:51 am - Grover Beach, CA
VSG on 06/02/14

I really like the Premier Protein Drinks that they advertise here, you only have to drink TWO per day to get your whole 60 grams of protein.  I got mine at Costco, though most the time they only had chocolate and vanilla (the Strawberry Cream is my favorite).  They are pre-mixed with a screw top you can put back on if you can't drink the whole thing at first. This also makes them very easy to take to work and on trips. You might want to give them a try.

VSG with Dr. David Thoman on 6/02/2014, Age 54, Height 5'7",  Highest Weight 280,  Pre-Surgery Weight 240, Current Weight 152.8 (4/20/2015)  Next Goal 140 | Total Weight Lost 87 lbs.

Nothing tastes as good as THIN feels!!!

Blabber
on 4/24/15 4:33 pm

Hi, I also had surgery on 4/16/15. I've lost 10lbs in one week and one day. But I also think it varies greatly person to person. My surgeon wants me to get 90gm of protein per day with a total of at least 64oz of fluid. I drink the Premier Protein from Costco, chocolate flavor. I have one with me all day, everywhere I go. I drink 3 per day, plus a protein chicken broth I purchased through my surgeon which has 15gm of protein. So I get between 90-105 gm a day, plus usually 2-3 cups of water throughout the day. I literally sip ALL day long. The worst part is getting started in the morning on sipping because I get some stomach discomfort (cramping?) with my first few sips.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views