How long does this last?

ipray
on 4/27/15 3:04 am
VSG on 11/06/14

Hello, I am almost 6 months out and I still have a problem tolerating most meat proteins and eggs. When I eat them, I have tightness, pain and pressure and it feel like something is stuck in the middle of my chest. It is painful and uncomfortable. I am not sure if it is some type of restriction or if I just can’t tolerate solid proteins. (It happens when I eat Chicken, Hamburger, Steak, Roast Beef, Ham, Boneless Pork and even thin slices of deli Roast Beef). My nut said to stay away from dry meats and to try to stick with moist meats. So I prepare most of my meats in the crock pot with some type of broth or liquids. I eat  3 oz of meat or less per meal. (I limit meats to about once a day because of how they make me feel). I still take small bites and chew well. I drink between 64 oz and 74 oz liquids a day and I do take a PPI. It happens as soon as I take my first few bites. I have been dealing with it by having other proteins such as yogurt, soup, nuts, cheese, tuna fish, etc., but I really want to be able to include more meat proteins, as I am getting pretty tired of my current choices. (I still feel like I am on my soft food stage at 6 month out).  Does anyone have any advice or know why this is happening? Have any of you had this problem this far out and if so, did it last long? (I am thrilled with my sleeve, I just wish I could get this problem under control).  Thank you for listening and I do appreciate any advice or experience you could provide.   

Gwen M.
on 4/27/15 3:52 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I had something similar happen around 3 months post-op and, for me, when I talked to my surgeon about it, I ended up taking an anti-spasmodic for 10 days and I reverted my diet - 3 days full liquids, 3 days purees, 3 days soft foods.  Now I'm good to go and have no issues.  

I don't think what you're experiencing is normal.  Have you talked with your surgeon?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

ipray
on 4/27/15 4:39 am
VSG on 11/06/14

Thank you so much for responding! I have not spoken with my surgeon. I have been putting it off, as I wear two hearing aids and can't hear on the phone or have a normal one-on-one conversation.  (That is why I love this site so much! I can communicate!)  He is about 2-1/2 hours away one way, but no more excuses. I will make an appointment and I will mention your experience with anti-spasmodic and reverting my diet. Thank you again Gwen for sharing!

Gwen M.
on 4/27/15 4:41 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Aw, please don't put it off - even though I understand it's a pain.  You shouldn't be suffering like this!  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

ipray
on 4/27/15 5:12 am
VSG on 11/06/14

You are right! I always think that if I wait long enough things will work out, but in this case I am going to take your advice.  Thanks again for helping me and others!

(deactivated member)
on 4/27/15 4:00 am

I wish I had an answer for you, but I don't. I think you ought to pursue with your surgeon the anti spasmodic medication Gwenn mentioned. It's worth a try.

I'm sorry you are going through this! It must suck and I really do feel for you. Hope you get it resolved quickly!

ipray
on 4/27/15 4:41 am
VSG on 11/06/14

I have been avoiding going to my surgeon, but I am going to make an appointment and mention Gwen's experience. Thank you for your support! You guys are the absolute best!

mickeymantle
on 4/27/15 6:36 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

talk to your surgeon something might need fixing

my hubby has hearing loss and he got a free phone from the state that captions all calls and also amplifies them

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

ipray
on 4/27/15 10:11 am
VSG on 11/06/14

That is terrific! I am definately going to look into that. (My sister and father also wear two hearing aids.  We all have hereditary nerve deafness.) We usually communicate via text or emails. (We are good lip readers too!) The captions for phone calls sounds fantastic! I can't believe we haven't heard of this yet. Thank you for letting me know! 

psychoticparrot
on 4/27/15 7:48 am, edited 4/27/15 7:50 am

Everything Gwen said.

In addition, it could be that you're just not ready for meat yet. I've read that it can take as much as a year before the sleeve will accept red meats.

I've also read, including similar posts on this topic, that if you have had a painful blockage, go back to liquids for a day, then slowly work through the full liquid, mushy, and soft food phases before trying the problem food again. If it still gives you trouble, stop eating it and try it again in a month or so. 

You didn't mention whether you're eating very slowly. If you eat quickly, even with small bites and thorough chewing, you can cause a pileup of dense protein in your sleeve. Perhaps if you time your bites at least 2 minutes apart, the symptoms may subside.

The silver lining in your dark cloud? The proteins you can tolerate are much better for you from a nutritional standpoint than red meat and chicken. Don't know if that's any comfort to you.

Good luck. 

psychoticparrot

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views