What to expect after Gastric Sleeve surgery, advice needed...

Tjlpnny
on 4/27/15 9:52 am - Shandaken, NY
VSG on 06/08/15

Hi Everyone, 

I am new to this site and in search of advice. I have received a surgery date of June 8, 2015 and will be having laparoscopic gastric sleeve surgery. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or info for what to expect the first couple weeks after surgery? Things like how bad is the pain, does your appetite really decrease, how quickly do you come off meds and CPAP, etc. I honestly have too many questions to list, so any and all advice and tips is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Theresa

Theresa L Jones

cappy11448
on 4/27/15 10:11 am

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.  I hope you will find it as helpful as it has been to me. 

I think everyone's experiences are so different.  But I will tell you that I had very little pain with my surgery.  I didn't need anything stronger than Tylenol.  I asked for anti-nausea meds before the surgery and they really worked.  I had no nausea.  I felt like I had the flu for three days after surgery - headache, tired, achey, but was feeling better by day 5. 

It did take me a while to adjust to my new tummy, and that wasn't fun.  But it was always manageable. 

And the good news is that I reached goal and have been maintaining for about 6 months.  And I feel great.  I didn't get rid of my CPAP until one year post op. 

I wish you the best of luck with your weight loss journey.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

sds0029
on 4/27/15 10:21 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

Congrats on your date .  I had no complications after surgery. Some pain on left side, but no nausea etc. I was off work 2 weeks after but could have returned after 1 week. 

Appetite is there but your fullness is the difference.  Love love. 

I stayed on my cpap but now 3 months later and 64 lbs lighter I no longer need it. 

Read this forum and all posts; eating, supplements and just getting support. 

I love my decision!

just do you 

snowiekate
on 4/27/15 11:05 am - FL

You'll be tired, and yes, will have some pain. I suggest keeping a small pillow nearby to hold against your tummy when moving. It helps. I had no appetite at all for about 2 weeks, had to work hard to get my water and protein shakes in. Just know that everything takes a little longer when you are healing.

That said, I stayed home completely for a week, then worked from home for a week. The sooner you start moving around, the sooner you'll heal.

Best of luck!

~ snowiekate

High 307.2, Pre-liquid: 290.3, Surgery: 282.6

Surgery date May 31, with Dr. Radecke (Riverside Surgical in Sebastian, FL)

ordersteps
on 4/27/15 3:15 pm
VSG on 04/20/15

Hello I just has my surgery 7days ago. I converted from a lap band to a sleeve.  My  experience may be a bit different than yours so here goes...... The pain for me was very painful BUT again  surgeries  2 in 1 so I would say.....for you maybe 5-6 pain scale. The only incisions that really are slowly healing is where the drain tube was and the incision where the port was to my lap band. 

Now the gas is where the concern came in.  They use gas to inflat the belly area, so for all of the trapped gas may be  a bit of frustration.....there is no drug to get that out....try Gas-X and have it ready to go out after surgery. Your throat will be sore as they put a tube down your mouth for 2 reasons 1) help you breath 2) to fix your bougie size ( the device to measure your stomach)    Farting, burping will all become your best friends......this tells your dr. your bowels are awake.  Blowing in the little toy thing they give you is very helpful.

After you come down off the drugs from surgery, WALK WALK WALK......you want to get pass the blood clot line so that you will not throw one, ask them to put stocking on your legs and those things that massage your legs while you sleep. 

Coming out of surgery, I notice some real quick changes and days later.....my right knee does not bother me anymore.  I do not wake up sick from High BP.  Now I still take the BP meds, but do not expect to be on it long.  I will say in about a month, all of that will be done away with. I wake up with more energy and the weight is melting off......hope this helps. I will share more as I go. 

mickeymantle
on 4/27/15 4:01 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

gas x does nothing for the gas , only walking and a hot towel help that

I had pain for a few minutes in the recovery room and it was quickly helped with pain meds

1 day after surgery I was on pain pills the next day I went home only took the pain pills at night and Tylenol  during the day 

after a few days no pain meds at all

I was off insulin and Byetta  the day I came home from the hospital  It took 1 year to get off metiformin

never could sleep with my cpap so I never used it But my hubby says I rarely   snore now and I used to shake the house

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

KATBAILEY
on 4/27/15 5:32 pm
VSG on 05/18/15

I am in the same boat as my preop is May 7th and Surgery is May 18th.....Asking same questions so I will follow your post as well.  I figure we all need the help and support at all stages in this journey! Good luck to you in yours Theresa!!

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 49 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 49 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 215 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 298 views