No Water Before Meal?

Bbinder2002
on 5/8/15 9:11 am

I get the not drinking for 30 min to 1 hour after eating as drinking will allow you to consume more food but why no drinking 30 minutes prior to a meal?  I've seen different doctors opinions on this.  My doctor says no drinking 30 minutes prior to meal.  I just can't really understand why.  What am I missing?

Tracy D.
on 5/8/15 9:18 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

i'm not really sure - I've read that some doctors think it's makes the stomach "slippier" or loosens it up so it would be more stretchy when you eat.  I haven't found that to be the case at all. 

After a few weeks I disregarded that advice and only stopped drinking about 5-10 minutes before eating with no ill effects (liquids slide right through!).  And now I'll drink right up until I eat a meal or snack.  

But I am still diligent about not drinking anything 30-60 minutes after eating.  That rule is for life.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Mary B.
on 5/8/15 12:58 pm - AZ
VSG on 04/23/15

My NUT gave me no pre-meal restriction on drinking, just 30 minutes after.

Age 63, HW 289, SW 273

Nmmsg
on 5/9/15 5:11 am
VSG on 07/09/13

I also drink right up until I eat.  I do not drink with meals or for at least 30 minutes after.  There is actually no room for the liquid and the food. 

Nancy

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

Sasny
on 5/9/15 5:57 am
VSG on 03/20/12

Hi

If you have no food in your stomach your pyloric valve at the bottom of the stomach is wide open and liquids flow right through in a matter of seconds.  I saw it with my own eyes when I did my swallow test with X-rays the day after surgery.  As such I drink right up until eating.  For example if going out to eat I will order my sugarless ice tea upon arriving and will drin****il our food is brought to the table.  Once eating I do not drink for a 1/2 an hour post eating or longer.  I find if I eat denser good VSG foods that I can't drink afterwards for more like an hour because it would just not be comfortable.  If I have eaten sliders I have no problem drinking a 1/2 post eating.

stephanie

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views