arthritis pre sugery experience

siueteacher
on 5/10/15 3:30 pm

I have read on a couple of different sites that there is an increased risk of complications and possible sepsis if the patient has arthritis before the surgery.   Anyone have this experience    complications after surgery due to arthritis before procedure?

thanks

AnnaBradley
on 5/10/15 4:13 pm
VSG on 05/04/15

I have arthritis in my spine, hips, knees and shoulder.  I had no sepsis or complications (so far!)  It would help to know the actual percentage of the increase, and whether the study was exclusively on weight loss surgery, or on surgery in general.  I know that my surgeon didn't even mention it, although we discussed all of my health issues.  He was more concerned about my high blood pressure than anything else.  Talking with your doctor about your specific risk is probably more useful than looking for every study of every possible risk factor - which I did, but it wasn't helpful.  It just freaked me out.  

Best of luck!

siueteacher
on 5/10/15 6:26 pm

How are you doing?   Your surgery was just a few days ago,  right?   I saw this information a couple of times on a couple different websites.  Thanks for sharing.

siueteacher
on 5/11/15 6:04 pm

How are you doing now?    weight loss?   feel good, healthy?  regrets?   how is your arthritis now?   do you think the weight loss helped? I believe the study was regarding WLS.   Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!

Grim_Traveller
on 5/10/15 6:05 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I have never, ever heard such a thing. I had bad arthritis and had zero complications.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

siueteacher
on 5/10/15 6:22 pm

I have seen it in a couple of different websites regarding the chance of complications from weight loss surgery.  I am glad to hear that you did not have any complications.   If you don't mind my asking, how old are you?   Thanks for sharing.

psren13
on 5/10/15 8:18 pm - NC
VSG on 03/11/15

I have arthritis in my spine and hips, both knees, have had rotator cuff repair, deep tear in my upper arm muscle.  I had wls 3-11-15.  I have had no complications from the surgery.. I am fixing to get injections in my back but not due to the surgery.  One of the reasons I had the wls was so that I could get around better and start exercising and get healthier..  Once the weight starts coming off, it is easier to move around and any physical therapist or doctor or personal trainer will tell you that movement and exercise are all good for arthritis, keep moving.  I am 65 years of age (not old cause I got a long way to go lol).. 

siueteacher
on 5/11/15 5:16 pm

So, has the weight loss helped with your arthritis?   Pain?  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/11/15 8:56 pm - OH

What websites?  Not everything on the Internet is true, you know, and -- like Grim -- I never heard such a thing.  

I work for Bariatric surgeons, and have access to a lot of the medical literature at the office, and I have never seen or heard anything.  I fail to see how the condition of your joints would be related to infection, sepsis, or even healing rate.

MANY obese people suffer from arthritis and I have never even heard of a single case of sepsis.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

siueteacher
on 5/11/15 11:24 am

If you don't mind my asking,  how old were you when you had the surgery?   How are you doing with your arthritis now?   Any surgery complications?   Any regrets?    Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views