Self Esteem Issues

Lillydivine
on 5/10/15 7:16 pm
VSG on 04/13/15

Does anyone else find it hard to take a compliment? How do you handle it?

I've had people comment about my weight loss and that I'm looking good/doing good. I never know what to say and feel like they are just being nice. I also feel embarrassed and nervous when someone says something nice. I've lost 31 pounds, which I think is great for me. But when I look at me, I just don't see any weight loss. It's by my pants being loose and the scale that I notice anything different. I tell myself that when I lose at least half the weight, I will notice the difference. However, I have the urge to hide myself until then.

Height 5ft 2in / Highest Weight 277lbs / Surgery April 13, 2015 / Surgery Weight 270lbs / Current Weight 230lbs / Goal 130ibs

Michele H.
on 5/10/15 7:35 pm - NJ

Take pictures during your weight loss and then you will see the changes.  It's hard to see it in the mirror but in side by side photos you will see it.

Michele

Bella_Fein
on 5/10/15 7:56 pm - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

It's hard to see and believe in the beginning. Even if you don't believe it, just say thank you! Don't put yourself down. You will get there and one day you will feel as great as everyone says you look.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

(deactivated member)
on 5/10/15 8:53 pm

Smile and say thank you. However you feel, the person paying you the compliment wants to recognize your hard work. Eventually, you will feel more confident and your smile and thanks will feel very natural! 

Keep up the great work you're doing!

Dan1962
on 5/11/15 4:56 am - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

I had the same problem and still do sometimes.  I had to learn to smile and say thnk you.  Once you do it a couple of times, it becomes easier.  My other difficulty is having my picture taken.  I always avoided that.  Now I have to make a concous effort to be in the picture.  Also, friends and family that are not local always say send a picture...easier said then done.  Even putting my pictuce on here was difficult.  I used it as motivation to lss weight and be able to update it. 

The great part of all of this is you will eventually feel better about yourself.  Enjoy it while it last! 

Gwen M.
on 5/11/15 6:23 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Oh yes.  For the most part, I've gotten good at saying "Thank you, I feel great.  How are things going with you?"  Or some other redirection so the conversation doesn't stay dwelling on me.  

Therapy has helped me a LOT to cope with this.  

For me, just taking pictures of myself hasn't helped me adjust to my new body.  What has helped is seeing pictures of myself with my friends/family.  I know what size they are, and being able to see my body in comparison to them has been super beneficial in a way that pictures of me by myself just isn't.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Nikke2003
on 5/11/15 6:29 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

It's tough, but try your best to say "thank you" and leave it at that! The attention is going to keep coming, and it's going to feel weird for awhile; however, you deserve to feel good and receive the positive words. This is something I think a lot of us struggle with - I still do!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Mary Gee
on 5/11/15 6:37 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

It's very true what they say about taking pictures -- you really see the changes then.  I can look in the mirror and see nothing -- but last week I was at a get-together and everyone was snapping pictures.  I looked at a picture of myself and my daughter and was literally shocked -- I look dam good!!  Still have a way to go, but the changes are definitely there.  In the past, after I lost about 40 pounds, people would start giving me compliments - personally, I wouldn't see the changes.  

Some people won't mention your weight loss because of "sexual harassment issues" believe it or not -- it's really a concern at the work place.  But when people do compliment you, a simple thank you is all that's necessary.  No need to go into details.

BTW, once you feel the pants being loose, the inches will fall off -- find a good thrift shop so you can start picking things up -- I love shopping now; no more catalogs.  

Congratulations on your loss to date, and best wishes for continued success!

Mary

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

drea29
on 5/11/15 4:47 pm

I find it very difficult when anyone comments on my weight.  It has been such as source of suffering for me I just find it to painful.   the other day my director said you look like you lost a few pounds.  I had a regain of about 15 pounds in the winter and have lost 8 pounds.  The wheels started turning and I thought well what was she thinking before how fat I was.  All the crazy stuff came rushing in.  I have major body image issues, please don't comment one way or the other about my weight. I think that is why I don't post pictures. 

IWANT2BEHEALTHY
on 5/11/15 5:05 pm
VSG on 03/16/15

Like the others say. I just say thanks. Then tell them I'm trying to lose another 50 or 60. I'm trying to get back to college weight.  

Ht:6'5 Start weight 427, surgery weight=362 current weight 238 goal weight unsure?

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 93 views