Doctors in hospital changed my diet. Full liquids 2 weeks, puree for a month

BabyBlues79
on 5/29/15 3:58 pm
VSG on 05/07/15

How the hell am I gonna do this, a month on pureed food. I'm so scared to eat anything because even heavier stuff like SF pudding cause me to taste blood in my mouth. I dont have any leaks thank god but I still can have blood come up nearly one month post op, has this happened to anyone else?

Mary B.
on 5/29/15 5:01 pm - AZ
VSG on 04/23/15

You told us about you pancreatitis the other day but said you were better.  You were asked to follow up by several doctors.  If you're tasting blood or can see that it's coming up, you need to follow up with at least one of the doctors as soon as you can or go the emergency room.   

I hope you're better soon.

Age 63, HW 289, SW 273

BabyBlues79
on 5/29/15 5:19 pm
VSG on 05/07/15

I am definitely much better than I was a few days ago. I do have follow up appointments in a couple weeks. 

samanthalc
on 5/29/15 5:05 pm
with

I'm only ten days post-op, but my plan has me start soft foods after two weeks.  Did the doctors tell you why they changed the diet?  In other words, can you ask them what they are worried about?  Do you have any cir****tances that might contribute to slower healing like smoking?

My heart goes out to you.  At least you get purees after two weeks.  Look up shelly's ricotta bake and other recipes like runny refried beans.  There are more options for purees than I previously thought (like blended canned soups) and so hopefully it won't be a difficult time for you.

samanthalc
on 5/29/15 5:06 pm
with

Sorry, correction- after two weeks I start PUREED foods.  Soft foods (e.g., soft scrambled eggs) are week 4.

BabyBlues79
on 5/29/15 5:17 pm
VSG on 05/07/15

No I dont smoke they couldnt figure out why I had spit up blood.

BabyBlues79
on 5/29/15 5:19 pm
VSG on 05/07/15

They changed my diet because of the bleeding. Prolonged the liquid and pureed phases to let me heal.

Bufflehead
on 5/30/15 2:50 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

You can do it. My surgeon's standard plan for all sleeve patients is four weeks of full liquids followed by four weeks of purees and pretty much all of us get through it! Yes, by the time to "step up" rolls around you will be very ready for it -- but you won't die or go crazy, I promise you. There are lots of great recipes for protein shakes and options for full liquids and pureed foods out there. In the grand scheme of things, it isn't that long, though it feels that way, I know! I can say I think this conservative plan will be good for you -- I see people here and at other forums talking about nausea, pain, vomiting, etc. when trying a new food they aren't ready for, and I can tell you that never happened to me. I'm glad I was forced to take it slow and never had to experience any of that. Good luck to you -- it will be over sooner than you think

ashley5886
on 5/30/15 10:53 am
with

You can do it!! It will be worth it in the end when you are healed properly and healthier!  When did you have surgery?

I would suggest slowing sipping a protein shake for breakfast/snack, when I got tired of chicken broth/cream of whatever soups I drank ramen broth...don't judge me lol, and here are some delicious recipes you might could keep down!

Cauliflower Mash (I have not tried it with the cheese yet but the the recipe w/o it was DELISH)

Ingredients:

• 1 head of cauliflower, rinsed, trimmed, and cut into 2-3” chunks
  • 1-2 shallots, sliced
  • 1 1/2 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
  • 2 oz. fat-free cream cheese
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 oz. grated fat free or reduced fat cheese for garnish (cheddar, feta, or parmesean)

Directions:

• Saute shallots in olive oil in a 4 qt. pan until shallots are soft but no browned
  • Add cauliflower and broth, cover pan, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes until soft.
  • Remove from heat and cool slightly (10-20 minutes)
  • Place cauliflower and creem cheese in a blender. (Do not fill blender more than 2/3 full).
  • Cover with lid and puree until smooth.
  • Add salt and pepper to taste

Edamame Hummus

Ingredients

• 1 12 oz. package fresh or frozen shelled edamame
  • 3-4 large cloves garlic
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
  • zest from one lemon
  • juice from one lemon
  • 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp. cumin
  • parsley (divided)
  • 3 tbsp. olive oil

Directions:

• Boil the soybeans and whole garlic cloves in salted water for 4 minutes
  • Drain and rinse with cold water
  • In a food processor or blender, puree edamame, garlic water, tahini, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, cumin until smooth
  • With motor running, slowly add in olive oil until combined

Sugar free Popsicles when you have a sweet tooth and I have heard that there is unflavored protein you can sprinkle on foods you like to increase your protein intake, in case there are things you prefer/tolerate better that aren't exactly on the list :)

Good Luck and I hope this helps!

Ashley

BabyBlues79
on 5/30/15 11:10 am
VSG on 05/07/15

Thanks for the recipes!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 73 views