Things I've been noticing & questions

Lillydivine
on 6/13/15 4:58 pm
VSG on 04/13/15

I'm 9 weeks post op (yea). 

I've never realized before my surgery how much life centered around food. From TV commercials to get togethers. My dad and I always did lunch or supper together. That stopped for a while, but had started again since I'm starting to have more solid foods.

Which brings me to one of my questions. How do you deal with the food in a restaurant? I have a small scale that I carry with me. When I use it, I feel like people are staring at me and I felt like I had to explain why I wanted a salad plate and to go box. For some reason, I felt embarrassed and ashamed. Aside from that, salad plates are really heavy as well. 

My next 2 questions have to do with diet. At my dr. appt. and NUT appt., I was told no more liquid calories or protein suppliments. They want me to add natural protein and natural fiber to my diet. Does anyone else do their own smoothies? I make a fruit smoothie with skim milk, unsweetened fruit, and unsweetened vanilla protein powder. I have problems eating in the mornings (since I was a kid) and the smoothie works for me. I want to keep doing it because I am getting something down in the mornings. Does anyone have problems with smoothies?

What is natural fiber? I avoid all breads, pasta, etc. because l'm supposed to focus on protein, fruits and veggies. I do take fiber supplements tho.

Oh and is popcorn ok to eat?

I think that's it. 

Thanks for the help. :)

Height 5ft 2in / Highest Weight 277lbs / Surgery April 13, 2015 / Surgery Weight 270lbs / Current Weight 230lbs / Goal 130ibs

Bufflehead
on 6/13/15 5:30 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

How do you deal with the food in a restaurant? I have a small scale that I carry with me. When I use it, I feel like people are staring at me and I felt like I had to explain why I wanted a salad plate and to go box. For some reason, I felt embarrassed and ashamed. Aside from that, salad plates are really heavy as well. 

I don't eat out very often, but when I do, I just pre-portion my food when it is served. I eyeball what looks like my normal meal portion and push everything else to the side of the plate. At the end of a meal, I ask for a to-go box. I really don't care what other people think about my eating habits, not that I've been questioned about them much. Don't feel embarrassed or ashamed or like you have to explain yourself. Act like what you are doing is completely normal and people will respond in kind.

Does anyone else do their own smoothies? I make a fruit smoothie with skim milk, unsweetened fruit, and unsweetened vanilla protein powder. I have problems eating in the mornings (since I was a kid) and the smoothie works for me. I want to keep doing it because I am getting something down in the mornings. Does anyone have problems with smoothies?

Too many liquid calories and too much sugar for me and my plan. Your doctor and your nut both told you no more protein supplements. I personally think that rule is odd, but if my team told me to follow it, I would. If I were you and really struggling in the morning, I would get back in touch with them to explain the situation and ask for guidance. I wouldn't just go off and do something on my own.

You might also be able to deal with this by shifting your eating schedule. If you don't want to eat until later in the day, don't. My usual schedule is breakfast around 11 AM, lunch around 2 PM, and dinner around 7 PM. It works for me. Would something like that make it easier for you to have a real meal, not a smoothie, instead?

What is natural fiber? I avoid all breads, pasta, etc. because l'm supposed to focus on protein, fruits and veggies. I do take fiber supplements tho.

Fruits and veggies are good sources of natural fiber. Nuts and beans are also good ways to get fiber in.

Oh and is popcorn ok to eat?

Not on my plan because grain is off the menu, and corn is a grain. If your doctor and dietician were unclear about grains, including popped corn, you should get back in touch with them and see if they are ok on your plan. There really is very little nutritional value in corn though, it probably isn't a terrific choice IMO.

Lillydivine
on 6/13/15 10:32 pm
VSG on 04/13/15

I think I just feel really self conscious about what I'm doing in regards to food and eating. Kind of like people are looking at the 'fat chick' eat. I'm fairly sure it's just a head game on me. Weird tho that I seem to feel more self conscious now that I'm losing weight as opposed to before.

I want my smoothies back. The doctor and nut want me to get my protein from solid foods now, not liquids or supplements. I will do what they tell me, but I'll beg them to let me have my morning smoothies again. It's all unsweetened, right down to the protein powder.

Can we do that? I mean eat later in the day. My old normal was breakfast/lunch 11am-12pm, lunch/snack 3:30ish and supper between 7pm and 8pm. Then a drink or snack before I go to bed. I was told by a dietician a long time ago that I was supposed to eat at 'normal' times. I can do food at 11am, no problem!

What are considered grains? I'm supposed to have wheat products, if I go that route. But it's easier just to avoid them.

Thanks!

Height 5ft 2in / Highest Weight 277lbs / Surgery April 13, 2015 / Surgery Weight 270lbs / Current Weight 230lbs / Goal 130ibs

wyo_sarah
on 6/15/15 8:56 am

Be careful with smoothies. Even unsweetened fruit has lots of sugar because fruit has lots of natural sugar. My doc also said no liquid calories or protein supplements,although not until 6 months, not 9 weeks like you.

poplargreys
on 6/13/15 6:14 pm
VSG on 03/31/15
poplargreys
on 6/13/15 11:18 am, edited 6/14/15 7:24 am
VSG on 03/31/15

When I go out, I look for an appetizer that is small and meaty - scallops or shrimp wrapped in bacon, prosciutto-wrapped tomatoes and fresh mozzarella, chicken or beef skewers with a dipping sauce - or I order an entree and ask for steamed or sauteed veggies instead of the starchy sides like bread or potatoes. Easy-peasy. Two recent examples - I ordered a California Salad at a diner, and ate the chicken, avocado and bacon off the top and left the rest. Then at a steakhouse, I ordered the 6oz filet mignon and ate half, plus two baby carrots and a bite of plain baked sweet potato.

Like many others here, my plan strongly suggests avoiding liquid calories. I, too, have problems eating solids in the morning, so I will have a glass of FairLife milk or a cup of coffee with a scoop of protein powder mixed in so that I'm getting a protein-forward liquid meal. I was advised to leave fruit out of my diet until maintenance because even though it's a natural source, it's still sugar, which can derail weight loss and/or cause cravings.

Natural fiber = VEGGIES! Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, greens... YUM. 

Popcorn is a no-go for at least the first year, per my plan. Partly due to the hulls, which can irritate your stomach, but mostly because it really doesn't offer anything nutritionally that you can't get elsewhere. Plus popcorn is my absolute number one trigger food, and I have no desire to add it back in to my diet at this time because I know that I will have a really, really difficult time controlling myself and I just don't want to go there.

Lillydivine
on 6/13/15 10:16 pm
VSG on 04/13/15

I never thought of doing that! I shall next time I go out which will be tomorrow. :P lol

I love my veggies too, except beans. Beans are never a good thing for me. lol

This may be a silly question, but can I consider milk to me a breakfast? Or would it still be a liquid breakfast?

I am a popcorn hound and would love some right now actually.

poplargreys
on 6/14/15 2:29 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

You can always ask your nutritionist about milk - I discussed my problem with mine, and she and my surgeon both agreed that having milk or a shake in the morning was better than skipping the meal altogether. They prefer I eat solid food, and I would if I could, but this is a compromise for the short term.

Oneillch
on 6/13/15 6:21 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

All good questions. Before going to any restaurant, I go online to their website & make a selection from the menu. I only eat half a portion or less (at 4 months out, even less earlier on) and enter that info into the tracking app that I use (MyFitnessPal). Fortunately most chain restaurants have nutritional info and if they don't, then I enter the items individually. If you feel that you need to bring a scale then do it & don't worry about anyone else. There are also websites that give you examples of how to use your hand to determine a portion size (i.e., the palm of your hand is equal to 3 oz). 

I love my smoothie, but I have it in the eveningI make mine using unsweetened almond or cashew milk, SF Torani syrups, sometimes a few berries (natural fiber) & sometimes a tablespoon of sf ff pudding mix. If necessary, I will add a scoop of unflavored protein powder or PB2 (peanutbutter powder w/protein) to my shakes. Just google Bariatric Foodie, Eggface or Pinterest for recipes.

As for natural fiber, those are found in your fruits & veggies as well. If your dr or nut says it's ok to take a fiber supplement, then do so. And my nut says NO to popcorn.

Have a great journey! 

Lillydivine
on 6/13/15 10:12 pm
VSG on 04/13/15

I'm going to see if they will still let me have my smoothies in the morning. I just downloaded My Fitness Pal. Looks awesome to use!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 93 views