How important is Pepcid anyway?

frisco
on 6/14/15 8:36 am

As far as I know it has very little to do with healing.....

The majority of the stomach has been removed and many experience an over production of stomach acids for the much smaller stomach. 

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Keeks911
on 6/14/15 9:56 am - SALEM, OR

Thank you so much everyone. I will update this post after my WLS follow up with my surgeon, dietitian and physical therapist tomorrow.

Thank you again. I'll try not to stress over it too much. Nothing good ever comes from stress!!

C H
on 6/14/15 10:01 am
On June 13, 2015 at 9:44 PM Pacific Time, Keeks911 wrote:

I was just rereading my hospital paperwork and saw that the prescription I have for Pepcid is NOT as needed but to be taken twice a day for 90 days. I didn't know this. I am post op 10 days, I took it the day after release from the hospital and a PM dose after I figured this out.

What are the possible issues for not having taking it for the first 8.5 days after surgery?  I took it on my first day home because I felt that it would help me.  But haven't taken it sense. I haven't had any acid reflux, or any burps.  My stomach actually feels fine.

I have started taking it. I just hope I didn't create any damage by NOT taking it for 8 days brand new out of surgery....

Today wasn't the best day, this just added to the blah.

I only missed one dose within the first week of surgery and I immediately felt heartburn, haven't missed a dose since, you're lucky if you never felt the need to take them if you thought it was a "take as needed" meds. 

Laura in Texas
on 6/14/15 10:25 am

I am sure you are fine, but I would check with my doctor. I will give you my PSA on acid reflux. Sometimes symptoms of acid reflux are less than obvious. HERE is an article describing some symptoms that may indicate you have it. By the nature of your surgery, you are more likely to have acid reflux. Please stay on top of it. If I had VSG I would be asking for a yearly endoscopy to check for damage in my esophagus (it is part of the annual physicals in Asia). If untreated, it can lead to esophageal cancer. 90% of people who are diagnosed with EC in the US are dead within a year (vs. only 10% in Asia where it is caught early). My dad was diagnosed with EC in 2000 and died in 2002. It was caused by years of acid reflux. I wish we had been aware of the dangers before it was too late.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

poplargreys
on 6/14/15 12:39 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

I didn't go home from the hospital with a prescription for a PPI, just the instruction to call immediately if I experienced any sort of reflux/heartburn and they would get a prescription to my pharmacist that same day. For the first week I was fine, but then started experiencing problems and after a bit of trial and error I am taking 40mg omeprazole once daily. My doctor wants me to take it for 6 months and we'll see if I can wean off of it then.

Keeks911
on 6/18/15 6:17 pm - SALEM, OR

Just an update, I saw my surgeon and she didn't seem too concerned. She did suggest that I start taking the Pepcid and I told her that I was indeed taking it twice a day until gone. *phew*

Thanks everyone for all the help, it was much appreciated.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 96 views