9 month check up

FreeFran
on 6/15/15 8:02 pm

I haven't posted here in forever, maybe since before my surgery, but I know when I was trying to decide to move forward hearing about the experiences/updates from others was very helpful and appreciated so here is my update, for what it is worth......

First, I am 5'3" I started at 280 before my 2 week liver shrinking diet. I weighed in today at my 9 month check-up at 155.8. Only 16 pounds from my goal. My nutritionist told me I loose weight like a man. I attribute that to eating/drinking almost strictly protein, especially the first 5-6 months. Since eating more carbs and fruit the last two months my weight loss has really slowed. I am ok with it and I still avoid all junk and limit my carbs to the healthier variety like plan popcorn and fruit. Just a note, I believe more carbs can also turn into more quantity. They just go down easier then protein, at least for me.  I haven't done a lot of exercising and that's bad and I know to loose the last of the weight I need to get off my butt. 

Something I do recommend, keep measuring and tracking.  I never test my sleeve, not intentionally.  I don't wait for it to tell me I've had enough although it has happened a few times.  I still follow the rules and don't eat and drink at the same time.

The sleeve hasn't solved all my problems. I allowed myself tic tacs for a while but found I'd eat the whole thing in less than 1 day so no more tic tacs.  I also still need a late night snack.  Since I can't give it up I made it my third meal of the day.  I have never cared for breakfast so I just skip it. Again, not something I recommend and something I still have to work on.

Things I don't like about the sleeve. I lost a lot of hair for awhile, but I had a lot to start with so I guess that was lucky. It did stop falling out a few months ago. For me this wasn't a big deal, but no more big meals and I don't enjoy going out to dinner.  I really missed soda for awhile but I'm over that.  I still miss junk food, but I have no plans to open that can of worms.  I think that's why I'm OK with having 16 more lbs to loose it keeps my on a diet and doesn't let me try a maintence program.

Things I like about my new self;

Being a size 6 (sometimes 4)

Crossing my legs

seeing my toes

Hearing I look 20 years younger

being comfy on a plane and almost anywhere

not wondering if I'm the biggest person in the room (I often was)

OK i have rambled on long enough if you stayed with me for the whole thing I hope it was helpful. Good luck to everyone beginning or considering this journey and those already traveling down this road with me I wish you all continued success.  

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/15/15 9:09 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Rock on!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

happysunshine28
on 6/16/15 1:23 am

wow, I hope my journey ends well like yours

whatsinyoursleeve
on 6/16/15 4:07 am

Thanks for sharing!

November18
on 6/16/15 5:09 am
VSG on 11/18/14

Great post! You really express your experiences honestly. Congratulations on your wonderful success!

Bonnie

letsdance
on 6/16/15 5:11 am

Thank you for the update and feelings about your journey. It is very helpful to read things like your post because reality is a really good thing for those of us beginning the journey. I will be having the surgery tomorrow so your post is inspirational.

Thanks for sharing.

FreeFran
on 6/16/15 8:54 am

I'm sure you'll do great. Best of luck. 

cappy11448
on 6/16/15 6:02 am

Congratulations on your success and your commitment to the process.  Good job!

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Tracy D.
on 6/16/15 6:19 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Fantastic!  Huge high-fives to you, Fran  You are kicking this thing in the ass :-) 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Kathy S.
on 6/16/15 2:40 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views