I need to stop grazing!

Nicki08
on 6/26/15 3:50 pm
VSG on 09/15/14

Ugh!...i'm so annoyed...I cant seem to stop eating between meals...a piece of cheese here a scoop of pb...a cheese puff...therefore i'm not getting all my water in...just wanted to get that out!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/26/15 4:10 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

You can do it! Don't let your water bottle out of your sight :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 6/26/15 9:12 am, edited 6/26/15 9:14 am

So, now that you got that out there, whatchya gonna do with it?

All kidding aside, what you describe is not a hunger issue. It is an emotional/behavioral issue. This type of behavior is really important to get a handle on. I'd recommend trying something to see if it helps. When the urge comes to eat something you don't logically want to eat, stop and ask yourself a couple of questions.

1. Am I really hungry? If the answer is yes, then go ahead and eat something healthy that fits within your daily plan, both calorie and macro nutrient wise. If the answer is no, then you need to explore the reason(s) why you want to eat. Usually, for me, the food is filling a need that I'm not meeting for myself, e.g. alleviating boredom/anxiety/stress or not dealing with some other emotion. Sometimes saying to yourself, "Self, I'll take care of you, IF you tell me what you need. If you still want to eat later, that's negotiable, too." Then listen to your inner self really hard to find out what the heck is making you want to eat.

2. What is eating now going to help me accomplish? There is always some reason we eat when we are not hungry. It's usually to fill some type of void. Figure out what the void is. See if it isn't something you can address without eating. Sometimes that means facing unpleasant feelings, but believe me, it's worth it.

This is hard work, but important work. I've been down that road and it isn't pretty. I'm talking regain, in my case. Be kind to yourself and don't beat yourself up. This isn't a matter of will power. It's a matter of observing your behaviors without judgement and figuring out ways to help you change the behavior.

I've got your back!

Nicki08
on 6/26/15 4:23 pm
VSG on 09/15/14

Thank you for the great advice...the grazing has nothing to do with hunger...i guess its just maybe boredom...with my daughter (7) being out of school I guess I dont have any alone time to regroup...hopefully once the adjustment to summer break becomes more routine so will my eating..i will definately try your tips... Thank you!

NikkiL2015
on 6/26/15 7:17 pm - Carl Junction, MO
VSG on 07/06/15

I LOVED the advice from the previous post! I bought a product from Complete Nutrition that helps sometimes between meals and it promotes fluid intake.  It's called Prime Drive, comes in different flavors, mine is Orange/Limeade you mix it with your water and it burns fat and gives you energy along with curbs cravings.  It's only 5cal scoop, 0g sugar, 6g fiber along with lots of vitamins!  Just thought I would share!

Nikki L.

Oneillch
on 6/27/15 5:52 am
VSG on 02/04/15

Burns fat? Gives you energy? What's the science behind that?

Oneillch
on 6/27/15 6:09 am
VSG on 02/04/15

Be sure to carefully read the information regarding this product. It contains Caffine & if taken 3x's per day as directed will have 21 g of carbs. And it says its has a "fat burning potential." Key word potential.

Most Active