In need of 'soft protein' recipe ideas please!!

Heather S.
on 6/30/15 11:49 pm
VSG on 06/04/15

Hi, I'm 27 days from surgery and one week (out of 8 weeks) into the 'soft protein' stage of my post-op diet. I'm not allowed to have veggies, fruits, or grains currently, and I'm at a loss of how to spice up my diet. Only one week and I'm bored already. I've been eating soft baked fish (with lemon pepper seasoning), ground/processed chicken breast, beans (with taco seasoning), ricotta cheese (mixed in with the chicken), plain greek yogurt (with splenda and vanilla extract), scrambled eggs, and cottage cheese. I'm hoping someone has some ideas on how to make these foods more appetizing. I'm still drinking 2 protein shakes a day to get the 60-80 grams of protein a day I'm supposed to have. 

Thanks for the ideas! 

HW: 460 (12/18/14) SW: 419 (6/4/15) CW: 330 (10/19/15) Mini goal: 319 by 10/4/15

Valerie G.
on 7/1/15 4:57 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm a huge fan of ricotta for a good protein punch.  Add an egg or two, some parmesan, garlic, basil and nutmeg, then layer it with sauce and mozzarella and bake for a delicious noodless lasagna.  

You can also add some SF instant pudding to ricotta with just enough milk for desired consistency and whip up for a wonderful sweet treat. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

sds0029
on 7/1/15 5:00 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

Looks like you have a nice variety.  I will add that I loved mashed avocado with Greek yogurt and a dash of lemon pepper.  I would also recommend to google baked ricotta.  I know I have seen this on the forum and folks loved it. I never did make it but maybe that is a nice change for you.  Also Google eggface receipes for a variety .  Or you can search the forum.  Good luck to you.  

emelar
on 7/1/15 8:05 am - TX

Crock pot some chicken thighs.  The meat has more moisture.  You should be able to eat about anything as long as you lube it well.  Tuna and chicken salad.  Ground meat (turkey, beef) with pasta sauce.  Look at Nik's taco casserole Bariatric Foodie or Shelley's eggbites The World According to Eggface to add some variety.  Salsa was my friend in the early months.  I poured it on everything!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/1/15 9:59 am
RNY on 08/05/19

A few things I like:

• Canned tuna mixed with FF mayo
  • Canned chunk chicken microwaved with a pinch of shredded cheddar cheese and a bit of hot sauce
  • Chicken thighs cooked in the crockpot with cream cheese and a packet of ranch seasoning
  • Pork roast in the crockpot, cooked until it falls apart, with a little bit of apple juice and garlic in the pot
  • Pre-prepared pulled pork (I get Lloyd's brand in the tubs at the grocery store)
  • Ground beef with spaghetti sauce

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Heather S.
on 7/1/15 1:02 pm
VSG on 06/04/15

Thank you for the ideas everyone!! I'm a little leery when it comes to sauces like BBQ, spaghetti, and salsa. My surgeon has said no veggies at all for the next 7 weeks, then introduce them one by one, and spaghetti sauce and salsa are filled with veggies. And BBQ sauce is all carbs, I'm afraid. I'm supposed to be on a high protein low carb diet. :-(  I think I'll ask him about the sauces and see what he says. He's already said no cream cheese, because it has very little protein in it and that's what I'm supposed to be focusing on eating. Today I got some deli lunch meat that was lower carb/higher protein and that hit the spot! 

HW: 460 (12/18/14) SW: 419 (6/4/15) CW: 330 (10/19/15) Mini goal: 319 by 10/4/15

psychoticparrot
on 7/1/15 3:36 pm

Miso soup with added kombu seaweed and lots of tofu. Makes a nice change. You can buy everything you need online, unless you're lucky enough to live close to an Asian market.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

michellemj
on 7/2/15 5:38 am

Egg drop soup is also a nice change and should add some protein in there too.

You are lucky you can tolerate eggs! They gave me the hurk for about 2 yrs post op. :)

HW: 280; SW: 255; GW1: 150; CW: 155.

GoBlueGirl1998
on 7/2/15 7:22 am - MI

Hard boiled egg smashed and mixed with avocado! I was obsessed post opp! I added some salt and pepper and it was amazing! I know make my deviled eggs with avocados!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

Linda B.
on 7/3/15 8:48 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

I highly recommend this website, http://www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/. She is a regular poster on OH, she has a RNY, and loves to cook. There is a search feature. You can try her baked ricotta, it is AMAZING. We still eat it, DH is 3.5 years out and I'll be three years out in Sept. Now we add organic, grass-fed ground beef to the sauce. You can also search "mushies" for some great ideas.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 73 views