saying goodbye TO....

gwen41539
on 7/2/15 11:30 am - kimper, KY

Coffee lol it's my one habit I have I haven't kicked and I must I drank my last cup today I only have one big cup in the morning but I will miss it.so bad....I hope.the withdrawals aren't too bad it was a 14oz cup lol instant though...I hope.I can drink.it.again soon my nut says never again unless.decaf and I don't like decaf I see.others that drink leaded I think I may try it once I'm post op.enough what do you think? And will I have bad withdrawals???I hope.not.this.pre op.diet is enough to deal.with lol

HW 381/ pre op 345 /SW 312 Vsg 7/13/15 /CW 288

M1-24 lbs

ElizaM
on 7/2/15 11:41 am
VSG on 07/24/14

Never again? Did you ask her why not? 

I drink coffee. I usually drink half caf, only because caffeine messes with my sleep. But I can't see any reason why you should have to give it up forever.

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

gwen41539
on 7/2/15 4:58 am, edited 7/2/15 4:59 am - kimper, KY

She said it irritates the stomach causes ulcers and the caffeine causes increased hunger :( I still wanna drink it I don't think it will.cause that.much problem

HW 381/ pre op 345 /SW 312 Vsg 7/13/15 /CW 288

M1-24 lbs

Hislady
on 7/2/15 3:16 pm - Vancouver, WA

Your doc needs to enter the 21st century I don't think any of that is true, Why are docs dumber than the regular folks that just read the newspaper? That would be a deal breaker for me, no coffee no surgery!! There are plenty of folks who drink leaded all the time!

MAchick
on 7/2/15 12:13 pm
VSG on 01/27/14

They can pry my coffee from my cold dead hands! !

NikkiL2015
on 7/2/15 12:32 pm - Carl Junction, MO
VSG on 07/06/15

I am just like you, one big cup in the morning.  I kicked it for a while, but trust me I plan to resume my coffee after surgery.  My DR told me I could still have my one cup a day, however the caffeine slows weight loss, so he said maybe hold off till after surgery..... but he did say he wasn't going to take soda and coffee away.  My withdrawals actually have not been that bad. You will make it!!!    I don't do soda at all and occasionally I just have to do a decaf coffee because I can't stand it.... but the end prize is so much more desirable!!!  Good luck!

(deactivated member)
on 7/2/15 12:47 pm

My detox from coffee was a bit different. I'm not recommending my method, if it contradicts your surgeon's program, but for what it's worth, here goes:

My program wanted me to drink only decaf coffee. Since there was no mandate that I be caffeine free prior to VSG, only recommended, I chose to drink my joe up until the day before surgery. I figured I could detox from coffee in the hospital while on drugs! That's exactly what I did. I never had a single withdrawal symptom. No headache, no crankiness, no cravings, no nothing. I think being on dilaudid those first 24 hours post VSG did the trick.

I was caffeine free for not quite 3 years. I started drinking it honestly because I was having cravings for my long ago very bad habit of smoking. I chose coffee as the healthy alternative with my doctor's blessing. I don't drink a lot, but I still very much enjoy a cup in the afternoon. (I can take it or leave it in the morning! Odd, huh?) 

toddwho23
on 7/2/15 4:44 pm

I did the exact same thing! I didn't last 3 years though, just 3 months. 

ChubbyHubby82
on 7/2/15 6:34 am, edited 7/2/15 6:35 am
VSG on 07/06/15

Withdraws, caffeine, and you. 

Like any stimulant and caffeine is a strong one that most of us are hooked on. Expect classic withdraw symptoms like: irritability, sweating, headaches, and maybe hand tremors. I had hand tremors when I officially kicked caffeine to the curb. 

Also, caffeine is a natural form of a diuretic. How that works in everyone is a little different. I would steer clear in post-op because you will want as much liquid in you as possible. 

cappy11448
on 7/2/15 1:36 pm

I drink coffee with caf  (though I don't know how to spell it! (smile)).  I had to give up coffee for a few weeks, but not that long.  I think they let me add it back in week 3.  They preferred that I drink decaf because they think that the caf version dehydrates, but my understanding is that has been debunked. 

Don't despair.  If you get your water in, I think you can have your coffee.  You certainly don't need to give it up for life.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 304 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 350 views