Eventual capacity

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/15 10:16 am

You, like I was, are probably one of the lucky ones with very little swelling, too. That makes it so much easier to get the liquids in. I remember being so worried that I didn't feel that restriction feeling I thought I would either. Just wait. It'll hit and you'll be amazed! Just keep up with the liquids for now.

gwen41539
on 7/27/15 6:10 pm - kimper, KY

When I was a lap bander eggs were not my friend I tried them several times and Everytime was sick for hours I don't know if I even wanna try eggs lol they got stuck and I was spitting them up all.day 

HW 381/ pre op 345 /SW 312 Vsg 7/13/15 /CW 288

M1-24 lbs

Karen D.
on 8/4/15 6:38 pm - NY
Revision on 11/24/15
On July 27, 2015 at 6:10 PM Pacific Time, gwen41539 wrote:

When I was a lap bander eggs were not my friend I tried them several times and Everytime was sick for hours I don't know if I even wanna try eggs lol they got stuck and I was spitting them up all.day 

Eggs are my enemy too (as a current lapbander).  They always get stuck!

frisco
on 7/28/15 1:03 am

Great visual Kairk !!!

That is right there for eventual capacity from what I have seen.

Sadly, I have also seen some sleevers (not from my surgeon) that can eat a fair amount more than that to quite a bit more than that and even one that could eat that whole omelet.

There are some people on this forum that are in complete denial that VSG's can be different and think they are all the same and you just have to eat less..... where have we heard that before.

A major component to the VSG is restriction and it's not hard to figure out who has it easier, one who can eat more or one that can eat less.

This does not mean anyone is destine to fail, it just means if you have larger capacity you must make up for it in another area of the process. 

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Grim_Traveller
on 7/28/15 5:39 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I think everyone would agree that this is a very small amount of food. It should help answer all those questions people have been asking about capacity.

I wanted to add a cautionary note to those who are thinking strictly about capacity, portion size, and restriction. Kairk, I know you have talked about it many times, but like me and almost EVERYONE, you've fought issues with regain. 

How can you gain weight when you can eat such a tiny meal? Very, very easy. I could list about a thousand different ways. Having a tiny stomach can help, but there is much, much more to this.

I don't want to seem like I'm contradicting you kairk, because I'm not. Your post is a great illustration. I just wanted to make sure new people asking questions keep in mind that stomach size is only a small part of the final equation.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

happyteacher
on 7/28/15 8:08 am

Absolutely Grim. I could have half of the capacity that I have now and still very easily regain.The thing is that when I am in overating mode, emotional eating mode, former SMO mode... capacity isn't enough to stop me. It does slow me down a bit to give me a bit more time to adjust back, but it is not a final solution. Staying balanced with clean eating, exercise, and the head part is critical. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Tracy D.
on 7/28/15 9:26 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You are SOOOO right, Happy!  When my compulsive overeating kicks in and I'm going great guns, VSG and the restriction it provides just slows me down...it does NOTHING to stop me from eating total crap. And lots of it.   

Newbies, hear me now and believe me later: after surgery you will eventually be able to eat an entire box of Girl Scout cookies, a pint of Ben & Jerry's or .  It will just take you longer to get it all in.  And you will absolutely gain weight.   

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/15 10:02 am

Absolutely! I could not agree with you more. As I have said time and time again, my issues with regain are because of my emotional issues with food, e.g. using food to cope with feelings, rebelling against "diet mode", etc.... My regain has had nothing to do with my capacity/restriction.  Had I chosen to eat in a manner that is considered VSG friendly and supported weight maintenance for me, I would not be in the boat I am in today.

And you're right, too, this post was merely an illustration of ONE PART of the weight maintenance equation.

Grim_Traveller
on 7/28/15 11:11 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Sometimes I equate WLS to filing bankruptcy. We at one point were so obese that we could never reach a healthy weight without surgery. You can owe so much money you couldn't pay it back in two lifetimes without bankruptcy.

Both allow you to wipe the slate clean and get a fresh start. After that, it's up to you. You can get into debt again, or not. You can get obese again, or not. The possibilities and choices are there, but they're not easy.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/15 11:37 am

Great analogy!

Most Active