Starting the process

murphykn
on 8/4/15 2:37 pm

So I've barely begun. I made the call for a consultation, that's about it. I go for a weight loss seminar 8/5. I'm nervous. I feel like I'm going to be turned away because I don't have health problems that are listed. I have previously had diabetes with both pregnancies and hypertension with them. But it's since subsided. I have uncontrolled hypothyroidism, and MTHFR gene mutation that causes me to clot. My BMI is 43.6, I'm fatigued all the time, low to no sex drive, embarrassment, and guilt. I'm looking for some support as I've gotten a few really happy responses, and a few that say "You're not that over weight" Well being 125lbs overweight I see as a big problem, and conventional diet and exercise hasn't helped.  Looking for some advice.

mmb2003
on 8/4/15 8:36 pm

Hope your seminar went well and you feel well informed. I had my first appointment in June and I'm having surgery a week from today. Do what feels right to you. If you want to go down this path do so knowing you are bettering your health, physical and mental. I wish you the very best!

--Meg

VSG 8/11/15 HW: 272.5 PreOp: -17.5 M1: -20.8 M2: -15.0 TWL: -55.1 CW: 217.4

1st Goal: 225 9/27/15 2nd Goal: 200 3rd Goal: 170

murphykn
on 8/4/15 8:58 pm

Thank you, I go for the seminar tomorrow. A friend of mine had RNY and she said the seminar answers all your questions. I really want to do this for myself. I don't want to get to the point of having more health problems than I already do. I'm 255 at 5'4 and my goal is 130-140. I'm just hoping I don't hit too many bumps from insurance. I need to do this for myself. 

lbmoore0
on 8/5/15 9:23 am

Most insurance companies are becoming more open minded about WLS.  Depending on your company you may have some longer pre-surgery rules but if you get refused keep fighting it until they give in and give you a yes! 

Sandra F.
on 8/5/15 6:04 am

Every insurance is different but I think most say that if your BMI is over 40, you are okay.  If it is between 35-40, that is when you need the additional health problems to be approved.  Good luck to you on your journey!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views