Gastric Sleeve Card?

TerryF9
on 8/11/15 7:50 pm

I received a Gastric Sleeve Card from my hospital after surgery, to use in restaurants so that I'm allowed to order from the kids menu or buy half a portion. I have been to a couple of restaurants after getting my sleeve but I'm just way to embarrassed to use my card. I feel like they're not going to accept it or I'm going to be judged by everyone? 

Do you all have gastric sleeve cards? Do you use them? What is your experience with it?

SassyAmy
on 8/11/15 8:12 pm
VSG on 08/05/15

I've never heard of such a thing, but I think it's a great idea. Most restaurants will usually let you order off the kids' menu if you explain the situation, but I don't know of many restaurants that would be willing to do a half portion just because of the amount of food waste it may lead to or how it might mess up timing. If any restaurant doesn't let you, I would recommend having them box half of it up before they even bring it to the table (or have them bring a box with it so you can do it yourself). 

~*All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney*~

Sleeved on August 5th, 2015 |  HW: 292 | SW: 275 | GW: 135

TerryF9
on 8/11/15 8:19 pm

Thanks for the reply Sassy. I have kept in touch with my fellow same day/same doctor sleevers and they have used their card at restaurants with no problems. Maybe as time goes by I'll feel more comfortable with using it. As of now, I'll just ask for a take home box like you suggest. 

(deactivated member)
on 8/11/15 8:36 pm

Yup. I have one. It's in my wallet. I have yet to use it!

Luckily, I love leftovers!

I did have one incident early on when a wait person gave me total attitude about not ordering enough. I got all serious and said that if she would like to trade places with me she was more than welcome to have most of her stomach removed and see what it feels like to have a waitress pressure you to order what you couldn't possibly eat. (Yeah, I made it sound like I had been sick, but you know, she was a bit*h!) I offered to pull out my card if she needed proof. She declined and slunk away!

TerryF9
on 8/11/15 11:23 pm

@kairk, good come back!!! 

mickeymantle
on 8/11/15 10:09 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

my surgeon gives them out but never used them , most kids meals are crap

I usually share a regular meal with my hubby ( just pick smart food that we both like )

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Hislady
on 8/11/15 10:17 pm - Vancouver, WA

I hate those stupid cards for many reasons. I've never needed one for starters any time I have gone out to eat I either take it home or if I know I'm not going right home I simply ask for an appetizer or a salad or something small and or light. Most of the kids food is garbage and I've just asked if I can get a half order as I've had surgery and make sure you ask about the 1/2 price too so you don't get surprised with the bill. Like I say tho I've never needed to use a card of any kind because usually there is no problem. If I say I had surgery I don't go into any further explanation as to what kind or any details I just leave it at that. The cards just seem to cause nothing but problems! You can always find something to eat!

TerryF9
on 8/11/15 11:26 pm

LOL Hislady, the kid's menu really is crappy, either "chicken" nuggets or a dried up hot dog. I'll make sure to ask for 1/2 the price if I order 1/2 of the meal, I thought it was implied, but one never knows. 

akanikkie
on 8/16/15 10:43 am
VSG on 04/27/15

Your post made me realize that those crappy kids menu choices are a terrible message to kids about what's yummy to eat!

HW: 448; SW: 376; CW: 321

Gwen M.
on 8/12/15 5:10 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I never had one, nor would I use one if I did.  I feel that it was my choice to have the sleeve and the only person this should inconvenience is me.  

Here's what I've found/done:

Most kid's menus have horrible unhealthy options.  I'm not sure why people even let their kids order off these menus.  I've also found that most restaurants don't care if adults order kids meals.  So it's a non-issue.  

I pick restaurants that suit my way of eating, instead of expecting a restaurant to change their way of cooking/serving.  

I can order a protein-based appetizer and eat the whole thing. (Depending on the size of the appetizer, some are HUGE so I get leftovers.  Yay leftovers!)

I can share an entree with someone.  This works well if the person orders a salad/appetizer for themselves and then splits the entree with me.  

I can order an entree for myself and have leftovers.  Yay leftovers!  

---

Eating was always a rare treat for my family and it's even more of one now.  Which is fine by me!  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 94 views