Do you eat every 3 hours? Every 4? How did you make this decision?

TerryF9
on 8/18/15 6:52 am

Based on what information did you decide how many meals you'll have per day? Is your metabolism faster if you eat more times per day? 

psychoticparrot
on 8/18/15 7:18 am

My surgeon recommends 3 meals + snack, so that's what I do. 3-5pm is my temptation time, so that's when I have my snack -- a cup of black, unsweetened coffee and my gummy vitamins. It's only about 30 calories, but sipping the coffee while nibbling the gummies carries me through to dinner easily. 

I think those who eat smaller, more frequent meals do so to keep their blood sugar levels normal. I think, but I might be wrong, that number of meals per day have nothing to do with speeding up the metabolism. Those more knowledgeable than I am need to weigh in on that question.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

cappy11448
on 8/18/15 7:44 am

My program recommended three meals a day, and that's what I did during weight loss.  When I was ready for maintenance, I had to add a meal to increase my calories to stop losing, so I'm on 4 meals per day now.  I have enough flexibility in my calorie intake that I can have splurges and snacks occasionally.  When I see my weight creeping up again, I cut back to three meals a day and cut out the splurges and I can lose the extra weight without much effort.  Its working for me. 

Good luck with your planning.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Gwen M.
on 8/18/15 7:55 am
VSG on 03/13/14

My surgeon's plan is very specific that I have three meals a day, so that's what I do.  I have breakfast (always a protein shake) when I wake up or after my morning exercise, depending on the exercise schedule for that day.  I eat lunch sometime between noon and two, depending on the day.  Then dinner is around 7-8pm.  If I feel the need for it, I'll have a snack (cheese or nuts) in the late afternoon, but that's not super common.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

TerryF9
on 8/18/15 8:20 am

Thanks for the replies, very, very helpful. 

I spoke to my nutritionist and she explained that eating many times per day does not really speed up your metabolism although this is a very common misconception. It does have many benefits though, like keeping your sugar levels stable. 

This site has become such a great resource after my sleeve. Initially, when I decided to do it in Mexico and did not get a lot of support from the family, I would go into the Mexico forum and read success stories, bad experiences, inside information. It made all the difference and helped me get the courage I needed.

Thanks OH community.

wyo_sarah
on 8/18/15 1:57 pm

My surgeons plan is also three meals a day with no snacks.  During the first 6 months, however, I was supposed to drink a protein shake between meals.  I am maintaining now and I do occasionally snack usually because of stress or hormones which is not good.  But, I figure as long as I recognize why I'm eating and that it isn't mindless and I don't go overboard, it will all workout.  My surgeon said people who eat more frequently eat too many calories and have trouble losing the weight or keeping it off so that is why his plan is 3 meals and only 3 meals.

ErinNikki
on 8/18/15 4:39 pm
VSG on 12/11/14

I was told 3 meals a day and no snacks. That is what I stick with. Honestly, I am too bust during the day to plan several meals. It would have never worked for me anyway. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 92 views