Please do not think I'm stupid...or bragging

holly_jasper1234
on 8/22/15 6:44 pm

I had my surgery this past Tuesday the 18th.  I came home Wednesday and felt ok both these days.  Yesterday, I felt better and really tried to get my liquids in.  I was a little sore but not enough for pain medicine.  Today, I feel amazing.  I have drunk all my liquids, have very little pain to any, and was able to walk a mile.  But this kind of scares me.  Would I be able to do all of this if my sleeve was leaking?  I don't know if I should be thankful or scared.

grayC
on 8/22/15 9:06 pm
VSG on 05/01/13

Don't worry abouta leak..

you'd be running a fever and have pain (I believe)

HOWEVER and listen to me...

WHY ARE YOU WALKING A MILE???!!!!!!

its usually a 6 week wait for clearance to exercise...

your nerve endings to your stomach

have been severed, 

this is no joke and requires time to heal properly...

although the majority of us have little to no pain 

we tend to forget that this is major surgery..

take your time to heal..

Gwen M.
on 8/23/15 6:16 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I was allowed to walk slowly, as much as I wanted, before I reached the six week mark. It was the only thing I could do, so I did it a lot with my surgeon's blessing. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

grayC
on 8/23/15 6:22 am
VSG on 05/01/13

Yea iF I think about it..I walked too,  but just to break up gas....

read it as like on a treadmill sweating power walk..

should have said something like take it slow...

ocean37
on 8/22/15 10:13 pm - Lunenburg, Canada
VSG on 02/26/13

Trust me when I say that if you had a leak you would NOT be able to do these things!!!

Leaky Sleeve Survivor - 2013/2014

Highest Weight - 370 lbs, Weight at Surgery - 333 lbs, Current Weight - 207lbs

LadyLeo32
on 8/22/15 10:43 pm

I'm not sure about anyone else but my surgeon encouraged me to walk as much as possible as soon as possible. I was walking for 90 minutes 3 days after surgery and have had no complications.  My doc was thrilled.  At my one month post op I was cleared for all activity and my lifting restriction was removed (normally takes 6 weeks but some go sooner).  I would just say, if you're listening to your body and only walking (not lifting or doing strenuous exercise) you should be fine.  It's a blessing! Best to you.  I'm just under 7 weeks out and am down 36 lbs --25 the first month.

NikkiL2015
on 8/23/15 3:08 am - Carl Junction, MO
VSG on 07/06/15

Definitely confirm with your medical team, as they are the one's taking responsibility for your care.  With that being said, at my two weeks I was told to resume my normal work out routine with exception to my water aerobics (only because they weren't healed yet).  I am close to 7 weeks out and can't walk a mile so that's awesome!! Mine is not because of my surgery though, it's due to the arthritis in my knees, however I do my work out every day with my resistance bands and so forth.  I found that I was able to go to Wal-Mart with my children for the first time and NOT use a buggy!!!! I walked the entire time, so that was an amazing feeling.  I want to mention I was also in the hospital for an entire week after surgery due to complications and was still told to return to normal work out after two weeks.  My doctor also said that if there was a leak, you would know it.  I kinda worried about that as well because I was able to take in water with no problem after they started letting me have water (again I was in ICU and had nothing by mouth for 5 days after surgery).  I say you should be thankful!!!  Discuss your progress with your medical team and keep going, you have nothing to lose but pounds and inches!!!!

holly_jasper1234
on 8/23/15 5:27 am

thanks everyone.  I go back to the doctor on Tuesday and the way he talked to me in the hospital he wants me to walk as much as possible.  I am a natural worrier so it helps to have people reassure me that everything is ok.  I can't help but being worried about a leak. I just wonder why people have so many different diet guidelines.  Like right now I'm on puree.  Next week I can start soft foods.  but I read where others have not been on puree food after surgery for weeks.  I just don't understand.

Gwen M.
on 8/23/15 6:17 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Different surgeons find that different things work best for their patients. This is why it's super important to follow your own guidelines whole healing.

Sounds like you're on the right track!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Nikke2003
on 8/23/15 9:39 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

Some people are very fortunate that they recovery well with very little issues - I was one of them. It's good to confirm with your doctor that you are doing what you're supposed to (but not overdoing it). As long as he/she thinks you are doing ok, then just consider yourself lucky/blessed. An easy recovery is a good thing! :)

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 84 views